That sinking feeling. Height adjustable chairs.

I set out to do a web search on remedies for the sudden descent of 3 of my telescopic, height adjustable chairs but couldn't think of the name for such mechanisms. Please help me out here.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

gas spring/strut/lift

Reply to
Andy Burns

In my case, it's eating too much.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I was built like a blimp on two sticks not long ago. Then I performed the appallingly fashionable act of cutting gluten out of my diet. Now I'm slender and getting more sylph-like daily. So, I do think it's a mechanical problem with the chairs.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Like car struts, they can loose their "oomph". Replacements are available, sometimes of different lengths which can be useful.

Reply to
newshound

Interesting. I was 13 stone at the start of the year but am down to 11st

7lb, mostly just by reducing carbs (esp. home-made wholemeal bread - very sad); my waist has gone from a tight 36 to a comfortable 32 and the BP has gone down a bit. I'll be happy when the scales stop saying "one at a time" and when the weight starts with a 10.
Reply to
nothanks

I never did like the ones you pumped with a paddle like lever, since they tend to suddenly raise you up more than you wanted, then start sinking hour by hour. I guess the valve mechanism tends to get worn after a while. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Home made bread is one of the highlights of my life. I thought I would miss it more.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

This chair is only about a year old, from Lidl. It's a minute by minute let down experience here, rather than hour by hour. I do appreciate Lidl vegetables though.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Something like

which I got when my WFH chair kept dropping.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Bob Eager

Thanks for that. Big help.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Nice one, thanks

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

It winds me right up.

Who adjusts the height of a chair anyway? I'd prefer a set and forget system, I wonder if it's possible to replace them with a screw?

Reply to
R D S

Once upon a time they *were* adjusted that way, you'd see people whirling their chair seat around to raise or lower them.

Reply to
Chris Green

I read somewhere that inverting the chair so that the gas strut lube oil can run down inside the cylinder and can help to improve the seal between piston and cylinder. I don't know if it works, but it's cheap to try.

Reply to
Sn!pe

We have a PC in the living room and I also use my work laptop via the same keyboard, mouse and monitor. That means that both I and my wife use the same chair multiple times in a day. As she is 4'11" and I am 5'10", adjustment is needed!

On days that I am in the office, we do not have reserved desks, so may also need to adjust the height of seats on arrival.

Reply to
Steve Walker

How do you fit it? Usually the gas lift jams into position when you assemble it.

(Mine gradually rises so I have to make it drop every couple of days before it jams under the desk.)

Reply to
Max Demian

As I suspected, the main problem is removing the old one, needing a big lump hammer, WD-40 and some way to support the chair.

Reply to
Max Demian

The gas lift makes it soft and bouncy when you drop onto the seat.

Reply to
Max Demian