Adjustable Height Workbench

HI, I am new to this group and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Charlie and I live in Minnesota. A few years ago I got a backache because my workbench was too low for the work I was doing. If I raised it up any higher it would be too high for other things and it would interfere with passing wood across my table saw. I decided I wanted an adjustable height workbench.

I was not able to find anything that met my criteria, so I designed my own adjustable height workbench. I also incorporated a mobile base into the design.

I built it thinking that I was building my "dream bench", and I was! After the designing and building process I wanted to show it off, so I entered it in a local woodworking exhibition. People liked it so much that I decided to offer plans for it on line. Those plans are now available. You can learn more about my adjusable height workbench design at my website:

Please take a look at it and let me know what you think.

Thanks, Charlie

Reply to
jack-bench.com

"jack-bench.com" wrote

snip

I took a look and I'll tell you what I think. I think you came here to make money off of us. Your story may be true about the low bench, but your reason for being here is not to help us but to help yourself. This is a non-commercial newsgroup and advertising is not permitted. Sorry, but your story is advertising no matter how much you try to disguise it.

Before you call me an a--hole, you won't be the first today and I'm one of the easy going guys here so get ready for more.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's an interesting bench - and the US$29.95 plan price seems within reason, but I wasn't able to find the price of the manufactured bench on your web site and found that off-putting.

It's the convention here to add the FS tag to the subject when you're posting something for sale.

Otherwise, it's generally acceptable to include a reference to a product web page (which needn't necessarily be woodworking related) in your sig (see below) for regular woodworking posts.

It looks decent and might be especially useful for handicapped woodworkers...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Hi, Charlie.

The bench looks very interesting, but you're coming into the group in the wrong way... Your first post really shouldn't be a sales pitch.

I hope you stick around and become part of the community we have here.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

That's a really nice idea. I think I'll make one myself. Doesn't look too complicated. Thanks.

Max

Reply to
Max

"Morris Dovey" wrote

That may be a market worth pursueing. Why don't you make a couple benches and put them out there in places where they would be really used and appreciated? A little hands on experience by a target audience would be very good in terms of getting the word out there.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 15:22:06 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

Tough day Ed? Relax, go grab a beer. :)

Reply to
Upscale

I immediately considered that, but it would need some modification in my opinion. Someone sitting down or wheelchair bound needs knee space to go under the bench so they can get close as they can to their work. Possibly this bench could be modified for that purpose, but wouldn't likely be suitable as is.

Reply to
Upscale

Charlie, spare me the crap.

A hustle is a hustle.

I have no problem with a straight up sales pitch if you identify it as such going in, but save me from the nonsense of trying to come in thru the back door.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Dayum, Lew ... another shining example of liberal kindness, consideration, and regard for all mankind, eh?

Reply to
Swingman

------------------------------ None of the above applies.

Business is business.

Been in the sales business for to many years not to recognize a pitch.

As posted, be up front about it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

as a lurker who reads nearly daily but posts very infrequently, I agree, the first post should have been a political rant, then you would fit right in. Jack

Reply to
Jack

My great-gandmother reputedly said, "Steal with your eyes, not with your hands." Rather than going nuclear on this guy (and his so-so story), wouldn't it better better revenge to "adapt" his ideas? Better yet, improve his bench... who knows? maybe YOU can sell plans!

(snicker)

Reply to
Steve

That was my immediate thought. (snerk)

Max

Reply to
Max

If we don't stop the advertising it won't be long before the weekly specials at K-Mart and the latest weight loss system are posted on a regular basis. USENET was founded on the idea of non-commercial sharing of information.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sales business or not, I think my 8 year old grand nephew could have seen that one coming. It's when they drop the message and not respond to any one that really gives it away.

Reply to
Leon

Snip

Here is what I think Charlie, cool idea but not for a wood working work bench. I want storage under my bench, LOTS of storage, not wasted space.

Reply to
Leon

I am kinda wondering also why you have to pay more for the second and third set of plans.... If I were to build 2 or more benches I think I would reuse the original set of plans.

Reply to
Leon

Not to worry.

Rumor has it that Festool is coming out with a new systainer under bench storage unit. ;-)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

It's a "stupid" tax.

scott