Unadjustable adjustable pulley

I have an adjustable pulley on my evaporative cooler motor. It seems to be frozen. Usually I can run the cooler with the adjustment lock set- screw out and it loosens right up. Not this time, after about eight hours. I tried a generous application of 'break free' oil several times, on the shaft and in the pulley 'V' hoping it will soak down into the threads. And last time I adjusted it, a few months ago, I made sure I oil-lubricated the threads on the pulley very well.

Any suggestions on loosening this? It's too hot to mess with removing the motor or pulley - 111 today - as long as the cooler still runs. Better the belt stays loose. I'm reluctant to tap the flange CCW with a hammer because the motor is only six months in service and I'm afraid I'll damage the bearing. But I may have no choice.

Suggestions or lubricating it for keeps once I get it loose or replace it? Maybe a slathering of axle grease instead of oil?

TIA

Reply to
Ken Knecht

Richard J Kinch

Richard J Kinch wrote in news:Xns99A892C4ABD29someconundrum@216.196.97.131:

I already have a set of HF pullers. As I said in my message, it's too darn hot at 111 at age 73 to mess around trying to loosen the set screw on the pulley, remove it and replace it with a new one. I'll wait until cooler weather if the belt lasts.

Reply to
Ken Knecht

Don't waste any more time on it. Get a new one, and use a water reistant grease on it before installing (think boat trailer bearings). Pro temp, you might get a 1/2" smaller belt and lossen the motor mounts to install it. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I can't add anything more about the pulley but it sounds like you may be using it to adjust the belt tension. Once the pulley is set for the proper motor load and blower RPM it should not ever require changing. You may need a better method of belt adjusting.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Adjustable Pulleys...

on the pulley and/or damaged them allowing them to cross thread. Your best bet is to (in the cool of the evening) replace the pulley.

As mentioned by another writer, you should not use the adjustable pulley to adjust belt tension. To adjust belt tension, simple loosen the motor mount and move the motor toward the blower pulley to loosen and away from the big pulley to tighten. Then tighten the motor mount bolt(s). (There may be an adjustment screw, about 2" long, for moving the motor for you). The correct tension can be determined by grasping the belt between the thumb and forefinger and moving it up and down WITH SLIGHT PRESSURE (about 3 pounds).

I might recommend a book titled EASY COOLER CARE available at

& Amazon.com. At Amazon.com you can "Look Inside" the book to show how much the book can help.. Look at pages

59 through 63. These pages cover adjustable pulleys and pulley alignment (prime cause of belt wear and the need to adjust the tension often). Pages 50 & 51 talk about motor adjustment and belt tension adjustment.

I hope you find this information helpful. If you would like to learn more, I suggest you get the only book on the subject; it's called "Easy Cooler Care". It shows how easy it is to service and repair the cooler yourself. It can save you a lot of money.

The book even talks about ways to make the cooler more effective. The website

(where you can get the book), also goes into detail about some new magnetic technology to deal with the mineral (scale) build-up without wasting any extra water - no bleed- off!

There is even a page to list all the sizes of the parts so you don't have to climb up on to the roof just to measure before going to the store. I don't know about you, but I always forget my pad sizes. Now I just go to my bookshelf, not the roof.

Hope this helps.

Irelyndsgrandpa

Reply to
galpinsgoodies