That sinking feeling. Height adjustable chairs.

And usually with a weight rating that causes problems for many 'modern' (= overweight) people.

What's your BMI Mike ?? :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Are these chairs kept in rooms facing south and therefore gettign very hot after last year and this ?.

Reply to
Andrew

My Aeron size C seems to be good for 350 lb, I think I'm safe for the time being ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

The insurance co I worked at in the mid 90's had office chairs with gas lifts that had a maximum safe loading of only 100 KG which is about

16 stone I think.
Reply to
Andrew

Or think laterally (or vertically)

Andrew

I recall having to do Risk Assessment for offices at work. I did include the possibility of staff members being over the stated limit for gas lifts on the chairs.

We had some which had the ability to tilt backwards if you transferred your weight accordingly. This was achieved by a 1/4" square steel member in torsion. One by one they failed, and it could be quite a jerk when they went. I assume it was either faulty material, or poor (non-existent) calculations.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I well remember getting one for Christmas, just what I wanted for my homework desk.

Over the years the thread wore, and it became increasingly wobbly.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Adjust the desk instead :-)

Andrew

They are a taper fit. I just used a g-clamp to force it back out. You'll need to unscrew the bottom bracket from the seat to do this.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Miniscule

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

North :-( Dammit I was looking forward to what came next!

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Cogito all over the place, ergo sum.

Exciting!

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Which is a bit of a reversal roles.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I have a (now discontinued) IKEA chair which has performed very well for some years now. My first attempt was a different (even more expensive) model, which had a floating mechanism which couldn't be locked out. Even slacked fully off, my upper-body mass was too small to overcome the spring, and it was permanently trying to tip me off. It had to be swapped.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Tipped off is even worse than being let down.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

These as struts are held in position by friction. You may find it well nigh impossible to extract it from either chair base or the spider. I would suggest you try this before buying a replacement

Reply to
fred

They will push out with the judicious use of one or a pair of g-clamps. As soon as its moved a few millimetres, it'll just pull out.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Jim GM4DHJ ...

Truely inspiring, even career changing.