That sinking feeling. Height adjustable chairs.

Not quite sure what you are referring to here but I can tell you from 35 years in the office furniture game they do not normally remove easily. Holding the column securely you may be able to beat off the spider with a mallet but the connection to the setpan can be a real bastard

Reply to
fred

I just unscrewed the seat from the top bracket, placed a g-clamp so one side was under the bracket and the other pressing on the top of the gas strut and tightened the clamp. If it's still not moving, a tap on the clamp, once it is as tight as possible, will shock the joint loose.

It's very much like using a screw type balljoint separator on vehicle suspension.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Mike Halmarack presented the following explanation :

What, to sit upon?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

That's an unusual configuration. The seat is normally fixed to a metal seat pan with the gas strut inserted centrally in this metal seat pan. I can't envisage how a G cramp would reach in far enough to catch the head of the gas strut and anyway it would be at an angle as the top of the gas strut is central to the body of the strut so you are going to need some type of 'Y' shaped bracket on the 'G' cramp to straddle the gas cylinder unfer the seat pan, a very long 'Y' shaped bracket. Top of the line chairs such as Steelcase or Herman Miller are serviceable and spare parts are available for them and components cane be replaced but your ordinary run-of-the-mill Staples or Ikea chair is not in this league

Reply to
fred

Yes, though one does have to be careful with the pineapples and coconuts.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Andrew

I've got four chairs of two different makes here and have previously discarded three, ex-office chairs, of two further different makes. All have had the back support, tilt-mechanism and rise and fall handle attached to a roughly 6" x 10" bracket, fastened to the seat of the chair. Some of the brackets are rectangular and some are shaped in an I shape, with a very wide vertical, so none are more than 3" from the edge to the gas strut.

Similar to:

and

Steve Walker

Where I worked the desk chairs were a good quality gas strut but the occasional meeting table/room chairs were an figure 5 (without the top horizontal) shaped tubular steel frame structure and although rated at

18+ stone quite a few partially collapsed when someone plonked themselves down fast from standing. The rating was not for the dynamic load.
Reply to
alan_m

IMHO those are cheap chairs and cheap components.

So where does the underneath portion of the 'G' cramp obtain purchase? Did you fabricate a special bracket ? Got a picture ? (A ball joint tool with a 3" reach and a 2" capacity??)

Reply to
fred

A g-clamp will easily fit with the rigid end under the plate, right up against the strut and the screwed end on the top of the strut.

For the other end, using the top of one "leg" and the bottom of the strut works.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I didn't say to use a ball joint tool, just winding pressure on with a g-clamp and then tapping with a hammer to shock it free, as you would do with a ball joint tool.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I'll stop here. You're lack of knowledge of these chairs and their components leads me to believe you've never done or tried this.

Reply to
fred

You've seen my links to the types of bases common on many chairs (both office and gaming types) - including many at the not too cheap end - and I've either changed the struts or removed them from chairs that I am disposing of on both of those types, at home, in exactly the way I've stated.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I've just 'fixed' mine with a piece of waste pipe and 2 jubilee clips.

There's only so long you can put up with these minor irritations isn't there? (Years apparently!)

Reply to
R D S

well, with a waste pipe right under your bum, you will not need the toilet ever again!

Reply to
SH