Adjustable height fixture for grow light

I would like to be able to adjust the height of this grow bulb as my plant gets larger.

I am moving it to a covered porch.

Can someone give me some ideas?

Thanks.

Reply to
A K

Buy an old camera tripod and rig it up - .. maybe 5 - 10 bucks at the thrift store. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Chain and S hooks. Can be any kind of chain. That "swag" chain will work.

Reply to
gfretwell

So, would I need to trim the 2x4 attached to the light socket, mount an eye bolt in the center of the wood, and then hang with the chain?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
A K

.. how long have you had these feelings ... for that scrap of 2 x 4 ... hmmm ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Better would be to buy a round PVC box, put the keyless fixture you have on the box and attach the chain to the box. Then you are a little closer to being safe/legal. Better yet would be a molded pendant light socket and just adjust the length of the cord.

Reply to
gfretwell

Something like this

gfretwell

But where does the scrap of 2 x 4 go ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Cord, swag hook.

Reply to
rbowman

Mount the porcelain base on a 4x4 box. There will be a knockout in the back you can hook into.

Reply to
rbowman

Yikes! That's ............ well you shouldn't have that where someone will see.

But for plants, either you move the light or you move the plant. I've done it both ways.

Stack of concrete blocks on each end, board across the top, plants on the floor, chain from an eye bolt in the board, lamp on an S hook. As the plant grows move the S hook to higher links. Eventually you insert more concrete blocks if it really grows. I had quite a garden in a dark apartment in Wisconsin this way. I hung 4 foot fluorescent tubes from the board because i got the fixture free where somebody had thrown it out.

Or, put your plant on a stack of blocks, remove them as it grows.

Reply to
TimR

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 17:33:35 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted for all of us to digest...

That's what I would suggest

Reply to
invalid unparseable

It worked for me when I used a fluorescent shop light as a grow light. Would work if you set it up like that in the beginning. Now you have to lower the plant as it grows. I have an old lab jack that would be good for about a foot of growth.

Reply to
Frank