Removing TRV

Trying to remove the head of a TRV

the black plastic bit won't unscrew, seems to have a roll pin or similar holding it in
't see a makers name anywhere, otherwise I'd ask them.

Anyone tell me what make it is? Or ideas on how to get the bugger off?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman was thinking very hard :

I think you will find that the roll pin is an Allen grub screw.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I did think that, but close inspection with a magnifying glass doesn't reveal a hexagon. Seems circular, which lead me to believe its a pin of some sort.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Is it an older Danfoss TRV?

Reply to
Unknown

on 22/11/2009, The Medway Handyman supposed :

I am CERTAIN that all of that particular make / model I have come across had an Allen grub screw. A roll pin just would not work to hold it in place. Try offering a small Allen key into the head.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The Medway Handyman wibbled on Sunday 22 November 2009 20:33

Being lateral, do any of the black bits want to rotate by hand? My last ones had a knurled black ring at the base that if rotated, locked and allowe dthe head to be lifted off. Didn't look exactly like yours though, so probably not helpful...

Reply to
Tim W

Thanks Harry - I shall try an allen key. Maybe previous attempts at removal have damaged the hexagon.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The split in a roll pin would visible on the end.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Clearly a job for the Angle Grinder :-)

BSF the old Danfoss-es used to have a cussed arrangement where you rotated a plastic collet-type-thingy against spring-loading whilst pulling away at the same time. Must say I don't recognise those Bar Stewards in your photos, Dave, but Sod's Law, I'll come up against them myself in the next week or so :-(

Reply to
YAPH

Even through the fuzziness of that pic the "pin" does appear to have a recess so probably is a grub screw .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

I still have some of these at home, I think they were made by Thorn or at least some company beginning with 'T'.

Anyway they are definitely held on by grub screws, the older ones actually had a plastic collar/clamp around them held with an ordinary screw.

Reply to
Andy Barron

I was talking B@ll@x, they are indeed old Danfoss TRVs.

Reply to
Andy Barron

Thanks chaps. It will have an allen key inserted. "They don't like it up em".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman