Visible Address - Is this Old Fashioned?

Hi all

Whilst I do DIY a lot of the jobs around the house, some are frankly beyond me physically (niggling back probs etc). So it's time to get a man in as-they-say. I made the mistake of talking to one of these cold calls about repaving the drive - turned out to be a shady Irish operator who needed some straight talk just to get rid of him! Anyway I digress - the point is, even if this guy knew chapter and verse and came with excellent references (which he wouldn't actually supply), I would have been reluctant to deal with him. His van, whilst having a fancy logo job on the side, did not display a land line phone number or, more importantly, a business address. The lack of a displayed address makes me very wary - does anyone else feel the same? That brought to mind TMH and his requests for comment on his van logo. Did a search for the van picks but they seem to have been removed - can't remember if his address was featured or not (or if this was part of the discussion). Browsing briefly through his web site I couldn't see his address either.

This raises another question, aren't businesses supposed to display a trading address on web sites by law, or is it just a vague "contact details requirement"?

From what TMH has said, the lack of displayed address does not seem to affect his business. But then his would be the sort of outfit that you might trial or use on low value projects, at least until you had confidence in him.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

"TheScullster" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

On a van? No, not really. TBH, these days, I wouldn't expect more than a URL - maybe a phone number. A mobile rather than a landline says "very small company", but is that necessarily a bad thing?

UKMail van, CityLink van. Both have URLs and phone numbers, neither has an address.

Yes, limited companies are required to display the registered address on all communicatons.

Reply to
Adrian

There are regulations (Distance Selling Regs?) about having a real address on web sites but I'm pretty sure that is only a requirement if you are selling direct from the web site via an online shop. TMH is only using the web as an advert he's not selling directly from the site.

As to your navy's van. Going through my mind of sole trader vans around here most will have a contact number, these days quite often a mobile, and maybe a location but rarely a full address. Full address stuff tends to be only on vans owned by a company not sole traders.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well, I wouldn't expect a full postal address. Though the name of the town would be nice - that way you can at least assure yourself that the outfit is local (so you can look it up in the yellow pages, etc.).

The nice thing about using CORGI restristered people is that you *do* get their full address from

I'd give preference to a local tradesman who was open about things like that, rather than a flyer shoved through my letterbox with just a mobile number of it.

Reply to
pete

You seem like a sensible fellow so it just goes to show that anyone can make a mistake.

IMO it's always a mistake to respond positively to cold calls. I never, ever, have. I don't see why anyone would. Am *I* being old fashioned?

Although in a different league to your experience, I see those reports in the newspapers about people winning lotteries they didn't enter, buying shares/property/commodities that guarantee a profit, etc, and I shake my head in disbelief. How hard can it be to remember one simple rule? Just say "no".

I wonder how many people have positive experiences to report from cold calls.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I've discovered that if you tell them you're renting the place they will just walk away. No arguments, no sales pitch, no pressure.

Reply to
pete

Fair enough, but I find it simpler to say "not interested [thank you]" then close the door or put down the phone. No arguments, no sales pitch, no pressure.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

"You see that sticker, saying I don't buy from doorstep salesmen, it is there to save us both time"

"But I'm not selling..."

"That's great, because I'm not buying. Good day."

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Exactly what I do. I certainly don't get into a conversation with them about their product / service or why I'm not interested etc. A polite "I'm not interested, goodbye" and that is the end of it.

Reply to
David in Normandy

Even Royal Mail vans only have a phone number and web address - what are they trying to tell us about their services?!

Reply to
John Stumbles

;) If the strike goes ahead, they will find out!

Reply to
Clot

Personally I'd be suspicious of anyone not displaying a landline, although the majority of calls I get are on the mobile. Seems a growing trend, especially amongst younger customers not to have a landline themselves, so maybe they wouldn't worry?

My address isn't displayed, pics of van still about

Browsing briefly through his web site I couldn't see his address > either.

I had Trading Standards check out the site prior to being accredited as a Fair Trader and they didn't mention an address. They did tug me over my letterhead which didn't have the proprieters name displayed. I guess they would have mentioned the address not being on the website.

When I'm trying to find stuff online the lack of physical location annoys me. Many seem to hide where they are and I often want someone local.

People obviously know I'm local to the Medway area - although I got a call from Hythe (40 miles away) a few days ago.

I mainly do low value stuff TBH, apart from decking. The Fair Trader logo (now on the van) helps an awful lot, 'instant respectability' almost.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

>> Browsing briefly through his web site I couldn't see his address >> either.

Many one man band firms that I know advertise a landline number that just redirects it's incoming calls to their mobile phone. They have no secretary and the only other option is an answering machine. Customers (potential or existing) want to speak to someone when they call and not leave a message.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Hence the 'Medway' bit. I did come up with all sorts of clever names, but ended up thinking it was important to have the local connection as you say.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

From another point of view, I know one guy (sole trader) who does all his quotes in the evenings. In his case the potential customer has phoned him and he has not cold called. His only advertising is the local paper, word of mouth and the numbers on his van.

When he quotes on the posh estates he turns up in a brand new BMW is clean shaven and well dressed. When he quotes on the rough estates he turns up in his van just after finishing work. He claims that he gets more jobs that way.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

"Do you like abuse ?" "no" "Then walk away now"

Reply to
geoff

And I wonder what rate he quotes at in each case? ;-)

And whether he wangles the Bee Emm as a legitimate business expense 8^)

Reply to
YAPH

Although funnily enough there was a Medway Builders' van in Urmston, Manchester, on Monday.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I did have a home phone that could play "on hold music" at one time ;)

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I used to deal with a science fiction bookseller in Wisbech (Cambs.); it was called "Fantast (Medway)".

Reply to
Bob Eager