Tiles from Hell!

Last week I was working for possibly the most disorganised woman in the world, she had just bought a nice town house to let it out. Top end of the market. Loads of jobs over 3 days, sinks, worktops, hobs, banisters, lights, hanging pictures etc. I'm on a strictly hourly rate.

Day 1. I had the kitchen ripped out, water off. Two people painting walls. Carpet cleaner turned up to clean all the carpets! He arranged to come back.

Day 2. Kitchen being re installed, mid morning floor fitter turns up to lay vinyl in 2 bathrooms, downstairs cloak & kitchen. Send him upstairs & enlist aid of woman's dopey BIL to clear kitchen. Carry on with other jobs whilst floor laid in kitchen.

Day 3. Carpet cleaner returns AM. Enlist aid of dopey BIL again to move appliances out of diner back into kitchen whilst carpet cleaner starts upstairs. Carpet cleaner finishes, Man arrives to install Sky TV. Has to walk over 3 x damp carpets to do so. Telecom man arrives to install Broadband, walks over damp carpets again.

My last job (not told about it until mid day 3) is to install 6 x handrails on stairs whilst stair carpet still damp.

Emergency call on Sunday PM, toilet on second floor (boxed in, concealed cistern) flooding when flushed. Arrive Monday PM to find dopey BIL has tiled all over it. Dopey BIL hasn't primed with PVA so tiles fortunately easy to remove. Replace cistern. Carpets now look like sh*t due to half a dozen tradesmen tramping all over them.

She wanted a downstairs cloak & an en suite tiled, but I turned it down as being too big a job. She also had clients moving in by tomorrow!

She got her dopey BIL to do the tiling.

(best viewed as slideshow).

Mind you, she paid the bill, so mustn't grumble!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

OMG - that HAS to be the worst tiling job ever!!!

Was that classed as finished!?!

Reply to
Sparks

Alas it was :-(

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

OMG! I know its like laughing at the afflicted, but....

Still you should get a nice few call outs fixing the disaster that the first use of the shower will precipitate. ;-)

Mmmm classy:

John Rumm

What makes people think they can improve upon a simple bathroom suite (pedestal, etc)

Reply to
John

that even makes _me_ look like i've got a clue (although i'll leave that open to the group if and when the bathroom gets done...)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

A bit more grout should do it.

BIL = built in lover?

mark

Reply to
Mark

one :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

By the looks of that BIL must have been workig in Carlisle also for a landlord who my daughter used to rent a house off

Reply to
the_constructor

You may be right but it is incredibly hard to believe,surely even an incompetent dopey BIL would make it look marginally better by judicious use of some grout.

I wouldn't want to take on any job to sort this out.. looks like it requires the shower to be re-installed as well to make it look anything like acceptable,and of course all the tiling done again.. it's going to be a bigger job than the original one.

(Making up the bits I don't know about)... sounds like the BIL has been pressed into doing these jobs as she can't get anyone else to do them in time.. she's appears to be the major dopey incompetent arse in this story (by the way it's generally bad form to bad mouth clients in public forums... unless it's anonymous of course :-)) A case of watching too many DIY bodge ups on the TV and reckoning it's an easy game...

cheers

Reply to
DM

Town house, upper end of the market you say? clientel wont be moving in. :-)

Question: was the woman on site when BIL was tiling the bathroom? I cannot believe she would allow BIL to continue doing the tiling if she was.

Disorganised is not the appropriate word,try braindead

Reply to
George

"The Medway Handyman" wrote

Thanks for sharing! Makes all my tiling efforts appear better than professional grade :). How can anyone do this and then walk away? It must be blatently obvious to even the numptiest of numpties that this is sooooo far below acceptable standard! As others have said though, plenty more work coming your way when they start using the facilities and tiles start dropping.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Unless BIL is in fact far from numpty and is just ensuring he never gets asked again...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Believe it or not, she actually helped him with the grouting!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

God save us from the Beeny wannabees. Mortgaged to the hilt with Northern Rock I expect

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I just don't want to believe that work _so_ incompetent still happens.

8-(
Reply to
Andy Dingley

You have made my day. Brilliant photos.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Truly amazing !! 'Dopey' seems an understatement :-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Makes my tiling look really, really, really good!

Reply to
Huge

Alas not. Its tiling Jim, but not as we know it.

Said lady has just bought a shop in Rochester High Street (v trendy). She has booked me for two days to help fit it out. When I saw her yesterday she told me she had decided to tile the floor.

I told her it was a big job. It's OK she said - I'll get my brother in law to help you..............

Reply to
The Medway Handyman