What kind of fixing is this?

Found a box of these in the store at the Uni I work at, left behind by contractors after completion of some new buildings.

Never seen the like before, any ideas what they are for?

about crap photo's.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

Self drilling screws ...

Reply to
geoff

...into what oh learned buddy? :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Into what ever you want screw:-)

a good driver they are not bad.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Into whatever

1st google hit ...

geoff

Doesn't your Nokia have a macro button? :)

Reply to
Matty F

Its a Tack self drilling screw. Some have a metal washer and others have a rubber type. Used for fixing to metal the latter for fixing cladding on roof sheeting. There is a special drill with a clutch for the use of theses screws.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

Why didn't you take better ones then?

Reply to
Laurence Payne

Because all I had available was a shoebox with a pinhole in one end.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

> Sorry about crap photo's.

Self drilling screws commonly used for ducting and roofing. The fellow who put up my latest lean too to the barn was cheerfully popping them through big six cement roofing sheets and through 1/4' steel 3x3 angles used as purlins - highly effective and quick.

nb a tip I picked up from him - if one blunts, use a fresh one to create and tap the hole, unscrew it then pop the blunt one in it's place.

Also, they are so hardened that if you tap the underneith protruding bit you can snap them off ( as I did when mounting fluorescents on the same purlins)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Anything? These look like they have extra-long reamer sections, compared to the threaded length, so AFAIR these particular ones are for putting steel corrugated sheets onto thin folded steel purlins.

They'll probably work into wood, but there's not much length of thread to hold.

Reply to
Andy Dingley