What to stick on his windscreen which wont come off easily? [OT]

Fair nuff, you don't worry about someone carelessly breaking your property, and you don't assign value to objects. But try and think of others that do. (OK, you probably do, but a lot of people only worry about not damaging their own things, and couldn't care less what they do to others items)

How about if I shred a Rembrant, or take a chisel to the odd statue or two? They're only things, I'm sure people wouldn't really miss them.

Yes, I would have the repair done. I happen to drive a slowly appreciating classic. It's not in good condition, but I'm doing my best to improve it. I'd rather not have my hard work ruined by someone who can't be bothered to show a little more care.

More important, yes (usually). But that's a reletive, it doesn't mean that things are without any importance whatsoever, does it?

I've done the same, but it's my property, and my stupidity. If I reversed into someone elses car, or borrowed a car and reversed into a bollard, I would expect to have to pay for the repairs.

I can't possibly comment on this without sounding like an utter bastard, so I won't! ;)

Reply to
Stuffed

That's as near to a yes as you can get then. I live out in the country and my nearest farm is about a mile away. No use though as its oilseed rape ATM.

Reply to
Conor

You clearly weren't injured. You were telling him what had happened.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

You do, it would take a bit of effort,that's all.

Not true.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No idea. Know any non gender human beings?

Perhaps people should stop confirming their stupidity and exercise common sense. There's always an accompanying picture to the signage either clearly showing a pram or an adult and child".

Reply to
Conor

Heh, our local Proton dealer is offering £3000 minimum trade in on the £11,000 Impian. My dad, I hope being sarcastic, suggested trading in the Subaru for one. I pointed out the Impian has a stupid name and the Ignis

4Grip seems like the best crappy little car to buy right now, and then said: "But, if you want to take that deal, give me the Subaru and I'll trade in the Volvo 740 - it's still got 2 weeks tax and a few month MOT and I think it'll make it..."

So today we're test driving the Ignis.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I don't believe you. But I'll help you out. You and any siblings are their children. Even though you're all growed up now.

So why don't they say "Grown-ups and boys & girls"?

Wooo... That's asking one *HELL* of a lot of the average supermarket user..

Reply to
Adrian

Course you can. Whether or not you have the motivation is another thing.

So it isn't fine then?

Reply to
Conor

Mary Fisher ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

There are no greengrocers around here that I'm aware of. The nearest saturday market is dire, and the occasional farmer's markets (perhaps one or two a month) are small, irregular, poorly advertised and on weekdays. My back garden is small, paved and very heavily shaded. I don't have the time to work an allotment.

I await your recommendations as to alternative sources. I'm on the Herts/Berks border, edge of the Chilterns.

Reply to
Adrian

When I ran my grandads car into a lampost at a fairly substantial speed, the only thing he was worried about was that I was OK. I was obviously extremely upset at the state the car was in to which his reply was "its only a mewtal box. You're OK." This coming from a man who had very little to live on and it was the newest car he'd ever had purely because he got it on Motability.

Reply to
Conor

It's been done.

Would you? While Rembrandt painted some of the pictures which have given me most pleasure I doubt that I would really miss them if that happened. If he hadn't painted them I wouldn't have known about them in the first place. I'm never likely to see them again - and prints are no substitute (I used to think they were until I saw them in the flesh, as it were).

But you're talking about one-offs there, unique items, not mass produced ones. They can't be reproduced 100%, a car door can. A clock can, a ring can. Sentimental value is meaningless, if an identical item was substituted for the clock or ring I doubt that it would be noticed.

I still firmly believe that people are more important.

We've done that, been there, they aren't as efficient as the car we drive today. They caused more damage through pollution (to humans), were less efficient and didn't have the carrying capacity we need.

But you might be interested in a long run of Practical Classics (from No 1) we have cluttering the house. You probably already have them, if not they're yours for the carriage or collection.

Have you never been careless? Have you never - in your whole life - caused any damage to others' possessions or themselves, whether maliciously or not?

The second sentence is the important one.

You'd leave a note with your contact details I suppose.

Says it all, really ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Failry logical though, given the original assertion.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Technically, that is correct.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Three.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cats occasionally catch them.

Rats - dessicated mummified rats - can be obtained from farmers grain stores. 300 tons of wheat on a rats head in a drying silo leaves em pretty much flat, stiff, and leathery. Very suitable for windscreens.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's like this:

It's someone else's property. If it gets damaged by someone other than the owner, then it's up to that person to put it back to how it was.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

If there is sufficient space to separate incoming and outgoing traffic (ie not a single-track driveway) the emergency vehicle access can often be sorted by having sprung flaps in the incoming lane, which can be driven over by vehicles entering the property, but cannot be driven over easily in the 'wrong' direction, and having the exit controlled by barrier.

If the non-resident parking is caused by workers in nearby businesses (as it often is) they will tend to arrive and depart at regular times. A few days of someone standing at the entrance in a high-vis jacket (either a resident who feels up to it and has the time, or a hired 'security' person - which does not cost much if you get someone from the jobcentre or nearest gym, you're not trusting them with keys or inside access or anything) and the unauthorised parkers will be deterred from parking in the private car park and will get into the habit of parking elsewhere. Once they've got the habit of parking elsewhere they probably won't return for months.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

So are kids, so if I dent a kids head with my car door it doesn't matter right?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes we do. Its just a question of what we are prepared to sacrifice to get it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Either way, the point is if a person causes damage to someone else's property that didn't have that damage before, then they should pay for the repair. If the person then decides to pocket the cash and live with the dent/scratch/scrape, then that's entirely up to them.

I couldn't agree more.

Heh! I couldn't agree more there - had he asked "What happened? Are you ok?", to which you replied "Yes, I'm fine, it was only at very low speed", to which he then replied "was there much damage?" then he wouldn't have been in the doghouse, right? :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan