Wax on windscreen

I bought a used car recently and a 'wash and wax' has obviously been used on the windscreen. It smears on the rain. Best way to remove it please?

Reply to
Jim S

Vinegar on a rag, do the wiper blades at the same time.

Reply to
Cats Whiskers

|I bought a used car recently and a 'wash and wax' has obviously been used on |the windscreen. It smears on the rain. |Best way to remove it please?

Meths.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Washing up liquid and screenwash liquid.

They say it rots the rubber, but I stick a bit of washing up liquid in my washers in winter..the rain soon washes it all off.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sledgehammer or a large rock.

HTH

Reply to
Matt

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

Blocks up your washer hoses and nozzles if you use too much.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

cleaner that you don't want) that works - moved car 30yds from house whilst applying silicon water repellent to stone work and it still got covered. Also stock Mer windscreen cleaner - no knowledge and they used to do their own brand windscreen polish that clains to remove polish residues.

If none of those suit I think those windscreen water repellants come with a pre treatment glass cleaner.

PeterK

Reply to
PeterK

I expect 'Halfords Intensive Glass Cleaner' would work - it managed to shift Rainex from mine and that stuff is designed to stay on as long as possible!

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I had a garage wax may windscreen, and spoke with Triplex about how to clean it. Advice was to wash it with white spirit, and dry with *lots* of sheets of kitchen roll (the guy said expect to use a whole roll, or you'll just be moving the wax around the screen, and you only need a 1-molecule layer left behind to cause problems). Don't allow any of the paper towels to run into the rubber around the windscreen as that will hold wax which will contaminate the towel, and it can't realistically be washed out of rubber. For this reason, you will also have to replace the wiper blades as they'll transfer wax back to the glass.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Use Clearalex washer additive in the bottle - it soon clears the wax when SWMBO puts the car through the local car wash. It is the best I have found to keep the screen clear of oil thrown up from the road.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Panel wipe. Removes most anything, without damaging paint and rubber, etc. It's excellent value as a solvent at about 5 quid for 5 litres. Gets used here for just about anything like that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

never has mine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Maybe too much = "used neat" :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I have used toothpaste, which is good because you already have some.

Here it says it's recommended by Ford:

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Nice 6-cylinder engine, good consumption, but it steered like a boat, and the headlamps just put two pathetic pools of yellow down on the road. Both the front and rear wind- -screens filthy'd up at the drop of a hat.

Reply to
Tony Williams

They block anyway with hard water. Washing up liquid may help prevent this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

================================ Clear the nozzles with a set of welding nozzle cleaners :

also sell them.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The heading of that message was for: "Car windscreen wiperblade scratches - removal. "

I take it that the post had wondered off topic? As for ford headlamps; I don't think they have improved all that much have they? Or do they just age badly?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

They also got fairly dirty, but (afair) the front glass? was not very hard and easily abraded, (by careless wiping or dirty road-water hitting them, I don't know which). Either way it made driving on unlit country lanes quite difficult.

Reply to
Tony Williams

No -- someone had suggested polishing out the scratches with toothpaste, and someone answered said it wouldn't be abrasive enough, and backed this up by saying that Ford recommends it as a cleaning agent.

It works well enough, and leaves a pleasantly minty smell, too.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer