What to stick on his windscreen which wont come off easily? [OT]

Yes, it does. The vast amounts of money raised in taxes on motorists (mainly from fuel duty) partly go towards paying for the NHS.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

So you don't have any single item of non organic beauty you would be upset about someone damaging without a second thought?

substituted

A car can be replaced with another car, but not that car, with the same settled in mechanicals, seats, engine, memories, etc. In fact, unless you're driving something fairly new and common, you're going to struggle to get anything near identical. I'd say the same about most things really. What you're really saying is things can be replaced with others that will do a similar or possibly identical job, which is very different.

I firmly believe that people neglecting to respect others property are therefore being disrespectful to the owners, who happen to be people.

appreciating

Do you really want to start the new v old car pollution debate? My car was made 25 years ago, and in that time has covered around 75 thousand miles. It has had very little major work, mainly using the consumables as any other car would. It's main polluting effect, being the resources used to produce it, has been offset by it remaining in use, so preventing a whole new load of pollution to be released to provide a new car. By not being scrapped in favour of a newer car, it has also not created the environmental nightmare of disposing of the plastics and other nasties.

And if emissions become a great concern, I am not against fitting a modern "cleaner" running engine, which would then pretty much void the whole argument against old cars in terms of pollution.

I'm sure you can argue the case for modern cars too, so it's really a silly argument to start ;)

I used to read it, but I found it concentrated on the mainstream quaint small cars and exotic luxury cars too much as time went on. And I'm sure in recent years it's started having some decidedly not yet ready to be classics as features. So the offer's tempting, but the postage would be silly amounts for not much worth reading really :)

If it's a genuine offer, I might ask around if anyone I know's interested, they might appreciate it.

Of course I have. Unlike many, I've even noticed I've done it, and tried to rectify it. I am not against people making mistakes, we all do. I'm against them not taking any responsibility for them when pointed out.

You've been saying things are meaningless. I've not been saying we shouldn't give a damn about people (I'm sure there's at least a handful worth bothering with somewhere), I'm saying people should give a damn about other people, as much as they expect me to give a damn about them. I grow tired of the arguments that everybody's free to do as they wish, so long as what they wish is what the person dishing out the freedom wants.

So far, touch cheap chip desk, I've not hit a parked car. But I have sometimes caused minor damage to a car I've borrowed, and made a genuine offer to make repairs. If I did knowingly damage another car, yes, I would attempt to make good to the best of my abilities, be it a chat, money, insurance, etc.

It's an art, one I have yet to quite perfect though.

Reply to
Stuffed

No, it's compensating them for the decrease in value of their property, something that they paid for with their own money. Yes, it does only affect them if and when they were to sell the thing - it'll still go and stop and carry people etc. like it did before, but its value has nonetheless been affected. Why shouldn't the owner be compensated if it wasn't his/her fault?

Which it is.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Which costs many thousands of pounds.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

dry-cleaning

I think my idea of a barrier that opens when any vehicle approaches it is a good idea. It would be combined with a CCTV system, and activate the CCTV system to record the movements of each and every vehicle that enters the premises, for the sole purpose of ascertaining whether or not they are actually entering the block of flats or using it to park all day whilst at work. I can't imagine this costing much more than £3-4k tops, but that's a vague guess!

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Try this:

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Bugger.

I scanned that comma as having *and* taking, not as an optional.

See, I haven't got this being a miserable bastard quite right yet ;)

Reply to
Stuffed

Did you stop to wonder *why* his priorities were that way around - such that (as you imply), you had to force him to adopt different priorities than those which occur naturally to him?

Too much love for his car, or not enough love for you?

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

What they WANT? How about them eating what they are provided with?

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

That's what it is *to you* - don't expect everyone else to have the same attitude to cars as you.

Why shouldn't they? People enjoy newer cars, people enjoy having the newer advances in technology. Why wait until the car dies (which could be 10 years+), before buying a different car?

Which, depending on the damage and the condition of the rest of the car, it would.

I hope he took you up on the offer. It's not a case of how hard up a person is, it's about you damaging their property which costs them to have it fixed.

Or other people's property it would seem. No doubt there will be something that you covet, perhaps your house or contents within that you would be upset if someone needlessly damaged due to carelessness. If someone accidentally stubbed a cigarette on out on the arm of your sofa - hey it's only a sofa eh - just get a new one...

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

If the edge of a door hits the centre of a panel of another door it's very much a weak spot in a door - it's easily dented.

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

It means child as in a youngster. Y'see it clearly doesn't have to be your own child. A person might have their niece, nephew or grandchild with them.

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

Back then supermarkets didn't open for the hours quite like they do these days. A 9-5 job that included working Saturdays could have easily ruled you out of getting to a supermarket.

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

Welcome to the problem with society. Is there actually a brain in your head capable of thinking for itself?

Reply to
Conor

Did you see crowds of people wailing and gnashing their teeth? No. At best it'd get a 5 minute slot on the news and be forgotten about by most people before the following breakfast time.

Reply to
Conor

I'm grateful that it was something that I took onboard too.

Reply to
Conor

Sorry Peter I meant to reply to that!

To be honest, the barrier would be pointless; we might as well just have the cameras and vcrs. There are vcrs which can record just a few frames an hour until triggered into real-time record mode by, for example a sensor, or a camera-frame-based movement detector, etc.

However, most of the people who live here are too busy to want to come home and start checking through videotapes. It just wouldn't work, at least not beyond a couple of weeks. And all you've got at the end of it is an historical image of a car that maybe shouldn't have been there. It isn't there now, of course, and it might never come back.

Reply to
Hamish Walker

Ah. Looks like we're in 100% agreement then.

Reply to
Conor

Or go down the very anti-community spirited "Gated Community" path.

Reply to
Conor

And?

Reply to