Advice on adhesives sought: ceramic to wood

Any recommendations on this?

I have a friend who is a potter; one of her specialities is abstract ceramic forms, which she fastens to pieces of driftwood. The whole piece is intended to hang on a wall.

Typically, a piece might be 50cm long by 20cm wide, the ceramic not weighing more than about 250gm.

So far, she has used wire frames to "clip" the ceramic to the driftwood (the wire is fastened to the back of the wood, and bent to the front edges, with just small "clips" extending to grasp the edges of the ceramic).

I'm wondering if there is a sufficiently dependable adhesive she could use, which would be a simpler fastening and (if dependable!) more reliable than the wire "clip", which can sometimes slip. It would need to last "forever", of course.

These are two very different materials, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience of fastening two such together?

I've seen the tables referred in the wiki , but I'm looking for specific experiences, if any.

Cheers John

Reply to
Another John

Could she not incorporate clips, wire loops or similar fixings into the backs of the ceramic pieces prior to firing ?

michael adams

michael adams

Ta. IANApotter, but I think she thought of that: quite apart from obtaining specialized wire, it would bugger up the firings of the glazes, I believe.

Thanks though John

Reply to
Another John

yep.

ive used PVA once and that was okish but a 'sticks like shit' type acrylic would be good. even waterproof tile cement will sort of work.

I've used araldite as well, and I reckon hot glue might work.

If you can get a smooth mating surface evostik works, and of course car body filler - polyester resin, and friends. Tow porous surfaces and you are spoiled for choice really.

Milliput is an epoxy putty coloured to look like ceramic.

I'd probably start with that, or hot glue.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Try E6000 (you can find it on Amazon and eBay). "Industrial strength craft adhesive that's ideal for bonding wood, fabric, leather, ceramic, glass, metal"

I use it for glass-to-metal - and it's very reliable. Has some slight 'flex' once set, which might be better than something that sets rock-solid, as the wood may shrink / expand over time.

Hope this helps Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

And me ...

Is stainless strip or wire hard to obtain? Probably from a "craft" shop if you have enough arms and legs but other places sell the stuff.

IANA potter either but sort of suprised of glaze problems, at least with stainless. I'd imagine more problems due to the expansion of the metal and shrinkage of the pot during firing. IIRC variable on the type of clay but of the order of 10%.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have successfully glued wire to pottery with araldite to hang them from a wall. Still there years later.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Since it will be completely hidden, I'd be inclined to use a dollop of flexible mastic as used for gap sealing with door or window frames. These "skin over" where exposed to air but remain flexible within. They will cope well with the roughness or lack of flatness of the driftwood, also the inevitable movement of the wood over time.

Reply to
newshound