What to stick on his windscreen which wont come off easily? [OT]

Think about the children, for gods sake.

Reply to
Vladimir

Exactly the sign says parent and child not parent and young child .

Reply to
dexter

I get my milk delivered by the milkman and buy potatoes from the market...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

So, do you define anyone (even you) who has a living parent as a 'child'?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I stopped the milkman delivering when he (and his predecessors) shot themselves in the foot by delivering the wrong quantities (consistently). He clearly had a sales target to meet, so he'd add an extra pint to a few dozen doorsteps.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah so you don't have any Tesco or Asda stores round your way which open at 8 am Monday morning and close at 10 PM the following Saturday night do you not Andrew .

Tough they should not have kids in that case if they cannot be parted from each other for a couple of hours or so a week .

Andrew I go to our local Sainsburys most days of the week because it is only a 1 mile drive there and back and to all intents and purposes it is our corner shop and I watch the antics of parents some watch every move their kid or kids make and keep them fully under control has they should do at all times and some just get their kids through the doors and all hell brakes loose. I don't blame a kid or kids for crashing into me with a half laden trolley and knocking me flying which has been known to happen a few times I am disabled I blame their stupid ignorant parents with their couldn't care less attitude to the rest of the people in the store.

Ah so you are another who thinks kids should be allowed to do what they want when they want and to hell with everyone else then .

No it merits a damn good clip round the ear .

Go away Andrew people like you make me bloody sick .

Reply to
dexter

Correct. I've owned 4 cars, in 25+ years of driving (just taken on the

4th). Of the three others, 2 died in accidents, the third was part exchanged (guaranteed =A31000) before it fell apart from the ravages of =

the iron moth catapillar.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And who went out to work to pay for the food? No late night or internet shopping then, so I guess your family must have scrounged of the state.

In the sixties as a young child I was taken shopping by my Mum as Dad was out working. The same applies today.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Was only just under 2 hours down the road last Sunday night. I was almost impressed, till I noticed there was all of three people ahead of me. And the cappuccino out the vending machine was terrible.

So it does pay to have at least a flask and Kendle Mint Cake with you before visiting A&E ;)

Reply to
Stuffed

I live in a block in S London, in pretty much exactly the same situation as the OP. I am also a director of the management company, and we have discussed a barrier or remote gates etc. The cost of something that looks even remotely in keeping with the block and doesn't make it look like the entrance to a factory, is prohibitive (i.e. £12K plus).

The alternatives of a padlocked chain, manual locking posts or even a locking gate is indeed laziness... but rather where it only takes one lazy resident to decide not to bother locking behind him as he leaves or enters, for the whole system to fall down. Or the "well I was only going to be 5 minutes" problem.

Or for someone to lose his key etc.

When we looked at automatic gates, we had to also consider access for legitimate visitors such as the milkman, postman, delivery drivers etc, as well as doctors and emergency vehicles, and legitimate residents' visitors. The only answer to that was an entryphone system wired to every property (in our case 9 flats plus 6 houses). Very, very expensive. Then there was the fairness issue - should residents without cars have to pay? What about the annual maintenance? What about the people who rented garages in the block which are no longer 'attached' to the numbered property they originally went with? It was insoluble.

We have the same 'illegal' parking issues as the OP, and so far polite notices tucked under the windscreen (with veiled threats of prosecution for trespass) seem to do the trick. And incidentally, I only go out and put one on when I see an unknown car drive in, and the driver get out and NOT go into a property but walk out the gate - that is if I can't dash out and get to him first.

The problem is that there is virtually no free on street parking in the borough where I live, and the problem is going to get worse.

Hamish

The two aren't always mutually exclusive...

Reply to
Stuffed

Absolutely, and that's the root of the problem. If the parents haven't instilled basic discipline and a respect for others, then you can't really blame the kids for responding as they do. As before though, these "brats" are in a minority (a loud one, granted).

No, the kids are consumers. Parents buy for children, be it clothes or food, and sometimes it's a bloody good idea to have them with you so that you can check if the clothes fit, or what they want for their tea. The needs and wants of the kids generates income for the supermarkets.

I'm glad you've finally conceded that point.

Reply to
Richard Colton

I wouldn't complain about that. If you've arranged for, say, a pint of milk a day for five days and a couple of bottles of OJ per week, clearly you don't pay for any more than that.

It's no problem stopping a delivery if I have a glut of milk or am away for a few days - I merely give the milkman (or his missus) a ring, or tell her (or their son) when they call round for payment every other Friday evening. Simple.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Absolute bloody rubbish, and you know it.

Maybe not, but you're making up for it now.

And is that the child's fault or the parent's? As a minority of people are miserable old gits, so a minority are bad parents.

Lovely. Did it take much practice to be so foul mouthed and bigotted?

Just as you were back in the 1920's.

Any particular reason why you think they should discourage some of their best customers from shopping with them?

I really hope that when I reach your age I don't suddenly become as arrogant and vindictive as you appear to be. I've yet to see you post anything helpful to any usenet group, but you do seem to have a major problem with any section of society that doesn't include you.

Reply to
Richard Colton

My Mum had her 90th birthday the other day and still regards me (at

56) as her child.

Well, one of them anyway.

So if I took her to my local Sainsbury's I'd have no qualms about parking in the "Parent and Child" bays.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

If you lost the gem out of your beloved dearly departed great grandmother's wedding ring, would you say it's only a ring? How about that clock your father left you on his deathbed, does it matter if I crack the glass on the face?

It could be an heirloom. It could be a hire or lease. It could have deep sentimental value. It could simply be worth shitloads. It often, however, is not only a car. So if you or your offspring ever dent my door, at the very least you will pay the full amount to professionally repair it.

Reply to
Stuffed

Dave Liquorice [ snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com] said

When I was young (sixties also) we had these newfangled things called "Saturday".

And I personally seem to remember late night opening on a Friday. Maybe it depended on where you lived?

Aren't you a bit old to still be going out shopping with your mum while your dad is out working....?

Reply to
Edwin

Been there, done that. I almost miss it, till I realise most mornings I can actually breathe and don't have two ballet dancing hippos practising in my head ;)

What about the time between going "oh fug, me neck's compressed" and getting the card? Do you starve?

It's all about people in authority trying to make judgement calls, instead of blindly following an arbitrary rule, IMO. But that requires independant thought, something that doesn't seem to be in fashion nowadays :(

Reply to
Stuffed

Shopping was done by my Mother on a Saturday afternoon while Father cared for me he didn't go running off to the pub every time he got the chance or the football ground .

So your Father worked 7 days a week year in year out did he ? .

Reply to
dexter

It's only civil trespass, prosecution would prove rather difficult in these circumstances. Thankfully for you most people are unaware of the fact.

Reply to
Depresion