Washers - nice one Screwfix

When you need some extra resistance against it coming undone. If its really important though, look at nylok.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

You noticed ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

;-) they are also good for pulling all the little spacers out of recently tiled walls I found.

Reply to
John Rumm

Our youngest is 36.

Whenever we dig in the garden we uproot a marble.

Quite frequently we unearth an Action Man body part.

On precious occasions we find a lead soldier - from when my cousin - ten years older then me - spent his childhood here.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Indeed. There's a interesting (well, if you're a Mech Eng groupie) article about Actual Factual Research on "anti-vibration" fitments over at

we read, "For example, conventional spring lock washers are no longer specified, because it has been shown that they actually aid self loosening rather than prevent it.". It's still traditional to sell and use "shakeproof" washers, but this article at least suggests they're in the realm of elephant scarers and magnetic water descalers...

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

I don't think it was around when I had grandparents ...I delighted in Bako. I gave the remnants to designer son last year, he was delighted! It won't be given to his bra ... er darling daughter.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What's all that to do with Lego???

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

would have also been useful for pulling cables under the downstairs floor recently (we have a biggish undefloor space, not 6 inches)

But SWMBO did not concur....

Reply to
chris French

In message , Tony Bryer writes

Not convinced by that

Later surely, I had lots of Meccano and remember being bought someup until about the early 70's?

Reply to
chris French

Wish I'd thought about suggesting that.

It would be good training for the chimney work.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Now there's a product which would give today's safety inspectors a screaming fit !

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Back to Google ...

"In 1962 Meccano Ltd. made a profit of £94,000 but in 1963 a loss of £670,000. Roland Hornby resigned and Lines Bros stepped in; Jack Tattersall was dismissed from his job as chief accountant. The company continued to lose money until 1968 when they recorded a profit of £145,000 but that was not enough to prevent voluntary liquidation. Meccano was acquired in 1971 by Airfix. The company never again showed a profit and the Binns Road doors closed in November 1979."

not broke c.1965 but that was when the decline was under way

Reply to
Tony Bryer

In such cases (or if the space is a bit tight), a cat can be very useful. Just put a bowl of Whiskers at the exit hole.

In fact, this is probably the only thing cats are good for.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Is that the one with the thin metal rods onto which little panels were slotted?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes....but spelled Bayko.... I had it too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Now I remember.

I think mine's in my parent's loft somewhere......

I also had Arkitex, which I believe was also made by Meccano. This had small plastic "girders" which could be fitted together and panelled on the outside to make "really modern" tower blocks.

I seem to remember that my set went to a cousin who then proceeded, as a teenager to have his own Ronan Point/WTC disaster with it. I never did like him.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

And we all know what we think about them.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yep, Bayko. Great nostalgia page at

Tony Bryer

Yes, I spelled it Bayko first then thought someone would correct me and say that was baking products but I wasn't really convinced. They both look wrong and the box is at the other side of Leeds.

I'll take it off their hands ...

I had a cousin who had a fort with soldiers. It wasn't fair. I never liked him either.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I must admit at one point I had a fleeting idea of becoming an architect. Technically I could have probably done it, but didn't really have good artistic skills.