Washers - nice one Screwfix

The humane traps work well - I've found that bits of chocolate chip cooky make effective bait.

So that's how you get the bastards to shut up.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Just what I was going to say...

But there's oil drums, scaffolding poles and lorry inner tubes...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Anybody remember (I think it was) Trix? Not the model railways, but a small rival to Meccano...I r emember very little apart from silver metal strips with three staggered rows of holes in them...or perhaps the name was just *like* Trix...

Reply to
Bob Eager

We re-use ours. We also have an all-metal one which is lethal and not just to rodents. The larger, rat ones are impressive.

sort of music ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

When you say "work", what do you mean?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

A very good point.

Yes, it was Trix.

I was given a set for my birthday, and before bedtime had followed the instructions to build a simple crane. Next morning, my randomly placed nuts and bolts had all been re-done with the bolt heads on the outside - but only on one side of the model. My Dad had left a message that I should teach myself how to make the other side right too. And so I did.

The Trix is long gone, and so is the Meccano that replaced it... but I still have the *real* birthday present.

Reply to
Ian White

ahhhhhhhh. I vaguely remember seeing a set like that, had no idea it was that old. Sure wouldnt want to fall on it in mid construction :/

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

No - but I wonder how many people did? Does anyone here of the age of, shall we say, wisdom remember any such accidents?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The rushlights, not the grandchildren......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

They detain small rodents.

Reply to
Rob Morley

The idea is that it plays for a short while then self-destructs. The candle burns down to the first piece of string, which releases the elastic band and pulls out the plastic tab to start the music. The candle burns down to the second piece of string which releases the trap and stops the music - permanently.

Reply to
Rob Morley

No. They don't make interesting pictures. Do you really want to see one? A rushlight, that is. They've long and very, very thin. So is one of the grandchildren.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And then what?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I understood that after reading the website. I didn't realise that the purpose was to stop the noise. I do it by jumping on it. But I do admit to playing it to Spouse and sons frequently first, to see them wince. The option of jumping is theirs, they're simply not imaginative enough.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

(whose post has disappeared) for a smashing thread - before it drops off the bottom of my screen.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'll do some searching.

Presumably your products are completely traditional Mary....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

We've still got one that I caught nearly three years ago - I was going to release her in the woods when the weather improved, but she settled in and seems to be happy.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Of course. Made by time-honoured methods.

All of them :-)

I'd have to be so far away from a rushlight to take a camera picture that it would be difficult to see on a picture. I try to scan things were possible but my scanner bed is too short.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think some of those early sets stuck around for a very long time, at least until the demise of meccano and its popular replacement by lego. I know when I saw one it struck me as a rather odd design. But the thought of falling on one... nasty.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

The thought of a car accident doesn't stop me from driving - and I've had a nasty motor accident. If we thought about all the potential accidents waiting to happen we'd do nothing but lie in bed.

And more people die in bed than anywhere else ...

I'd still like to know if any accidents with Bayko DID happen or if they're just in the mind of obsessive paranoics :-)

Mary

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher