Drawing Plans on Computer

I have just measured up a building my company is moving to in the next few months. Drawn it up using drafting paper to a scale of 1:100 and passed out copies to everyone to play with the design of the offices.

What I would like to do is draw everything out on the PC which will enable me to move walls around etc with ease rather than having to redraw everything on paper again. Have had a quick look around the internet to see what's available but most seem to be into pretty 3D pictures for home owners to visualise what their home will (not) look like when built.

I am looking for a simple drafting program which will allow me to draw walls, place doors and windows in those walls and move walls around and then print out just a plain simple 2D plan.

Any ideas?

Ash

Reply to
Ash

IMO the trouble with most of these programs is that they usually have a pretty steep learning curve, and may cost you an inordinate amount of time for what sounds like a one-off job - is that right? I don't have any obvious solutions, but it might help you get more tailored advice here if you indicate whether you're prepared to spend a long time learning the software before producing results!

David

Reply to
Lobster

In article , Ash writes

We use Corel Draw for this, but that's only because we had it anyway for doing graphics. Takes a while to get used to though.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

We do a fair bit of drawing (we are commercial property owners). I have looked at some of the more complicated packages before but as you say they have a steep learning curve and for the more complicated jobs we employ architects, but simple jobs (up to planning and building regulation standards) we can do ourselves.

I would have thought there would be a simple to use program out there somewhere.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Corel Draw comes to mind.

Also Serif Page plus , although a dtp prog, is quite deft at drawing. Free versions usually can be found on computer mags.

toad.

Also, have a look at some of the freeware or shareware draw progs

I've been using AutoSketch release 2.0 for many years. I find it very easy to use and has all facilities for measuring, moving, stretching etc. I did once try release 6 but I found it too complicated and hard to learn. You may be able to find an early release on eBay.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

A basic draw programme. I use one such on my Acorn for everything from the simplest of plans to circuit diagrams. The important thing is that it shouldn't have too steep a learning curve.

IIRC, something like Coral Draw is/was the PC equivalent.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My company designs Microchips, an as part of my job I have to do detailed chip floorplans, I use Microsofts Viso product, it's very intuitive and very easy to use. We also use it for Office layout plans. It only does 2D diagrams but having used Autocad and others it is by far the easiest to use.

Hope that helps

Alistair.

Ash wrote:

Reply to
Alistair

I've played with Serif quite a lot and never found I actually wanted to do anything with it.

For 2D drawings the free (as in Linux free) program dia is quite good, I've already got further with that than with any other similar program. It's available for Windows as well as for Linux.

See

usenet

I've been using visio for floor layouts as well. Its not got too steep a learning curve, and the latest version has more tips and hints.

If you don't have Visio, you can get a 30 day trial at

might be long enough to get you sorted. Beware I think visio is quite expensive!!!

Peter

Reply to
Peter

I just use !Draw on my RiscPC.

Reply to
Richard Porter

Happy memories!

Reply to
Ric

A cheaper alternative to Visio is SmartDraw

You can get a

30 day trial version from the website, and the full standard edition only costs $69. There are also a number of symbol suites available, including Floor Plans and Facilities, from $69 a suite.

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

Yet another alternative. . .

On the Cover Disk of the May 2004 edition of PC Plus magazine, there was a fully working version of a program called ConceptDraw - which looks to me to be very similar to Visio. The software comes with lots of example files - including an office layout.

Reply to
Set Square

Visio is the best for this, so long as you can live with the desk and chair icons being their idea of "a desk" and you aren't looking for draughtsman like accuracy. It's ridiculously easy to use for playing with layouts, not too bad for drawing the floorplan, but clumsy and awkward for creating new stencils (desk and chair icons). One of the templates it ships with is a set of office floorplanning stencils.

If you're looking for entry-level $100 CAD to design furniture, the latest FWW (Fine Woodworking magazine) has a good review of the favourites. DesignCAD came out well, AutoSketch didn't.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

This freeware any good?

Rob Morley

If you can get a copy, then Sketch version 2.1 is probably the best. I think it up to about version 9 by now, but v2.1 remains the easiest to learn and use for 2D work.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Yes. Some people just don't know what they're missing. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The thing is it does just about everything that most domestic users need - but is very straightforward to use.

Most CAD progs - which *everyone* seems to recommend - will just never be fully used or understood by 99% of the population.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

the building, as this seems to be the hardest part, as you have to put them in using coordinates. Placing doors and windows after is a doddle.

Good program for such a small download.

Ash

Reply to
Ash