Drawing Plans on Computer

I *write* computer software and have totally failed to get my head round TurboCAD 3D. I can do nice 2D drawings with it, though I suspect doing some things by a harder route than is necessary.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I had a quick play with it after I found it, and I agree with you. Apparently it's now shareware and cleverer, but I searched out the freeware download and it seems adequate (certainly worth the price).

Reply to
Rob Morley

Just tried version 3.8 and it has lots of improvements. Well worth the $20 to register.

Ash

Reply to
JA

I used it, not without a few cursing sessions, for our new bathroom layout, even handing out 3D renderings to the fitters (sorry, not my own work this time) to get the details right.

Thankfully, the end product turned out rewardingly close to the plan

I will agree that TurboCad is V hard to use, especially on an occasional basis.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

The draw package in Word Office 97 is fairly versatile, I've used it for

2D extension drawings quite adequately. This is easier to use than the current version in Office 2003. It also makes it very easy to generate different versions of the same theme, either as the same file or a separate one.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Not actually what the OP wanted, but I was quite impressed by the IKEA "kitchen designer" for a free modeller giving 3D views from all angles.

Reply to
OldScrawn

I'll have a look at it later :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Capitol wrote in news:cjuutq$76s$1 @newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk:

I didn't know it had one - can I get at it through Word or is it lurking on the CD still. I don't install the whole suite, it's too much of a thug

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Microsoft Visio Pro, is quite easy to use, and I think cost me about £400.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

I have used corel draw for my kitchen, living room and both of my bedrooms. One of the nice things I have done a couple of times, is to scan sample floor finishes - to try and get a view of what they might look like covering a complete floor. I found this very useful for working with tiles.

Gin Smith

what I've used for 3d stuff in the past. Will be v.useful when trying to persuade my good lady that the bizarre layout I'm suggesting for some rooms will actually work!

Worth mentioning that

is superb for kitchen design.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

In my version, there is an icon towards the rhs of the toolbar, with a letter,a cube and a cylinder inside the icon square. If you click on this, you will get the drawing package toolbar, which is quite comprehensive. It is all freehand for arrangement, but the basic shapes are good, apart from circle quadrants and it allows you to snap to a grid, rotate fixed or free, nudge into position and place shapes one behind the other etc. It also allows shading, which looks vaguely similar to 3D. Colouring the various shapes is easy, moving items backwards and forwards is sometimes(for overlays) a bit iffy. The copy and paste routine allows repetition of say a joist, so once you have the basic shape ok, its just a matter of patiently maneuvering the copies into position. It you wish to add text other than in boxes, it is necessary to start by hitting the return key a few hundred times before you start to overlay the drawing!!

Hope this helps. Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Capitol wrote in news:ck1jti$rn4$1 @newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:

Well, I'm b*****d,

That'll teach me to RTFM, I thought Word was for writing letters!

mike

Reply to
mike ring

That's what the ******* paperclip would have us all believe.