Decking Supplier Recommendation

Hi

I'm looking at embarking upon a decking project. I'd be interested in recommendations of good decking suppliers.

I know it's a mixed bag with some rubbish out there - I'm looking for fairly low cost but decent quality. In other words, I don't want cheap and nasty, nor uber expensive.

I'm in Swindon if anyone knows of good local suppliers, otherwise any nationwide suppliers will of course be of interest.

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lupton

A little outside of my catchment area alas, but I'm happy to give you any advice that I can.

might help.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Probably too far east for you, but I have recently bought a small amount of timber products from:

"Welcome to Beaumont Forest Products. The company has been operating successfully as a timber merchant for over 20 years in the southeast, with branches covering Berkshire, Surrey, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire and London."

Quite impressed by their tidy yard, helpful attitude and, for what I wanted (fence panels), relatively good prices.

Reply to
Rod

Likewise probabaly to far west to be economical but the chap that did our decking area a few years back uses ...

saw mill type place with a fantastic range of wooden stuff for every ouutdoor requirment.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lupton

Wickes is a good place to start. Their decking prices are reasonable by DIY shed standards (£2.50 per linear metre for 150mm wide decking planks) but you will find they are easily beaten by timber merchants. Still, Wickes is a good yardstick and they will probably have a helpful free data sheet on decking.

Your next step after Wickes should be to find local timber merchants who stock decking materials. There has been a huge increase in decking sales, largely thanks to home improvement shows on TV, and many if not most timber merchants stock decking as a result.

Work out what materials you need and ask for a quote from each merchant. Then go back and negotiate the prices down.

Yellow Pages is your friend. Look under "Timber merchants". If you are paper-averse, try the online version (yell.com). I searched for you and found 12 results, several which included the word "decking":

isn't worth going far beyond your local area because transport costs will be high.

Reply to
Bruce

You could try Vastern timber yard, they are the other side of Wootton Bassett, opposite golf club.

Reply to
Vernon

Just realised I have a copy of their price list for decking:

Softwood Decking (prices per metre)

25x100 Reversible Treated Redwood Boarding £0.80 25x150 Reversible Treated Redwood Boarding £1.50 32x125 Reversible Treated Redwood Boarding £1.60 38x150 Reversible Treated Redwood Boarding £2.25

Hardwood Decking

19x90 Hardwood Decking £2.50 21x145 Hardwood Decking £4.50 28x145 Hardwood Decking £5.50

Might be useful for comparison purposes.

Reply to
Rod

Thanks - I've been to both Wickes and B&Q. Wickes was more expensive than B&Q and I couldn't find a single piece that wasn't distorted or cracked!

Thanks - I bought a large amount of decking from Jewsons a couple of years ago at my previous house - the price was good but the quality was dreadful. I don't think any two pieces had the same curvature :)

I've sent a few enquiry e-mails out this morning so hopefully will get some pricing later today.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Regards,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lupton

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lupton

Thanks! You have already convinced me to buy an impact driver based upon your previous posts here :)

Reply to
Steve Lupton

Thanks for that one - I think they may be a little too far away. I have sent them an enquiry e-mail none the less.

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lupton

Brilliant - many thanks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lupton

Hi

They just got back to me - I'm outside their delivery area unfortunately.

Thanks anyway,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lupton

For the avoidance of doubt, Jewson is not a timber merchant.

Reply to
Bruce

What about Screwfix? I only ask as I am in the same position at the moment, and Screwfix have a 4.8mx4.8m decking "pack" available, which fits my requirements for size perfectly.

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

Interesting, Decking is rapidly dropping off in popularity, and many Blders Merchants are giving good discounts so they can dump the stock ... Jewson are selling it cheaper now that 2 years ago.

It is being seen very much as a a 90's product ..

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Just out of interest, what is being installed instead?

Reply to
Steve Lupton

Thanks - I had looked at those, but there are a couple of issues.

1) 21 days delivery time - I was hoping to start this weekend 2) None of the sizes are quite right for what I want - so there will be a lot of wastage.

Regards,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lupton

In all seriousness, get down to a timberyard and talk to people. I hate to say it but most places (at least 'up north') are still more used to dealing with trade and public across the counter than new fangled technology, and you'll get a better understanding of the products they can supply, and you might even get a nudge and a wink to the best stuff.

Also, if you think to be starting at the weekend, don't waste anymore time; they'll be booking deliveries for the weekend now, don't be disappointed by waiting until Friday and only then realising there's no hope for delivery.

Get your plans together, get the measurements, and get down the timber merchants.

Reply to
Mike Dodd