Wanker of the day

All the cars I have had since depressing the clutch was required before the starter motor is allowed to work have always started, the starter motor then as normal is disengaged. At which point a gear is selected the clutch engaged and off we go.
To find out if the starter motor stays engaged upon selecting a gear and engaging the clutch with an engine that hasn’t started so the starter motor can propel the car slowly for a few yards I would have needed a failure to start or simulated the situation by nobbling the engine, on a petrol powered vehicle the plug leads could be removed. My manual car is Diesel so I’m not able to do that and it is too much bother to experiment further.
GH
writes

Presumably you mean that the driver no longer keeps the key in the starter position, the starter motor is not longer powered.

OK, clear what you meant now, thanks.
But once you release the clutch, presumably the starter motor would no longer be powered, so even if the engine didn’t start, you still wouldn’t be able to move the car forward using the starter motor.

IMO its very unlikely that the starter motor would still be powered when the clutch is released.
On 17/06/2019 20:54, ARW wrote:

He went into that far too fast. Apart from flooding the air intake as someone else said, you need to avoid splashing too much water around the HT in a petrol car (although they are much less vulnerable than they used to be).
On 17/06/2019 23:26, newshound wrote:

Lots of modern cars use plug packs, and so don't have traditional HT leads.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 18/06/2019 02:01, John Rumm wrote:

Indeed, and even with leads the modern distributor-less systems seem much more tolerant. That was my point.
Erm, how does that make him a merchant Banker? I'v heard of several Police cars getting stuck in floods over recent days. Brian
--
----- --
o.uk> scribeth thus

I can only suppose the driving instructor doesn't tell them how to handle floods where you need to follow the middle i.e. highest part of the road and then take it SLOWLY not crash though it as that will if your lucky drown the high tension voltages of the ignition system and if your not will get into the Air intake and water isn't that compressible!..
I used to have to cross Welney Washes out in the fens years ago the road across that was prone to flooding. I estimated in my Audi estate that it could manage about a foot, not much more and as long as the flow across the road from left to right wasn't that bad it was cross-able. Course if you really want to get through then a Landy is needed as here:)
I think they have spoiled the fun now as they have full width barriers that close the road:(..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc3BC-6Wp38

--
Tony Sayer

On 18/06/2019 12:03, tony sayer wrote:

Yep, you look at the flood, you wonder how deep it is, you think about how badly you need to get where you are going and you take your chance. Low gear, slow speed, high revs. Every winter round here.
TW
scribeth thus

There is a devilment factor that comes into play there;-)..

Well that road is a good link between say Ely and Wisbech and you have to make a long detour to go any other way. I think it'd be justifiable to build the level of the road up and put concrete drains under it let the water flow.
Theres a railway line nearby which is on a bank that drains well and part of the river goes under a rail bridge.
It does provide between the Old and New Bedford rivers quite a lot of capacity for flood water that can take sometime to get through the great Ouse river to the wash then the sea..
--
Tony Sayer