Wanker of the day

Its all very hit and miss. A bloke with a flashy foreign make of 4x4 got stuck in quite a shallow flood,he made the local news last year. It transpired that the water carried by the wheels got into the wiring loom somewhere and the computer saw it as a short and cut all the electric power off. Not great really.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Very good :-)

Reply to
Scott

A big variation in vehicles there, five series of Discos over 30 years. four series of Minis over 60 years.

Which ones do you mean?

--

Reply to
The Other Mike

In article <qe8r4t$qsn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, ARW snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.c o.uk> scribeth thus

I can only suppose the driving instructor doesn't tell them how to handle floods where you need to follow the middle i.e. highest part of the road and then take it SLOWLY not crash though it as that will if your lucky drown the high tension voltages of the ignition system and if your not will get into the Air intake and water isn't that compressible!..

I used to have to cross Welney Washes out in the fens years ago the road across that was prone to flooding. I estimated in my Audi estate that it could manage about a foot, not much more and as long as the flow across the road from left to right wasn't that bad it was cross-able. Course if you really want to get through then a Landy is needed as here:)

I think they have spoiled the fun now as they have full width barriers that close the road:(..

tony sayer

Well some advise you to use the starter to "wind" you across a railway crossing but I'd prefer to get out and run as far as I can from the impact to be!..

Not that I've nee stupid enough to get stuck on a railway crossing but some manage it;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

I've not seen a hit & miss engine in a vehicle in a long time.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

None of our vehicles will crank without a foot on the clutch so we?re just doomed. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Indeed. This was the era of car where the air intake was at the top of the engine (typical air horn into the side of the air filter housing), so less of a worry.

Saw that happen a few years ago. We were off on a family outing, and it started tipping it down in a massive way. Everything was flooding fast. Got to a road that passes under a railway bridge, and saw that was already several feet deep. So I turned into a side road to turn around. By the time I was back to the main road, someone had attempted to get though in Landcruiser, and basically floated off into the middle of the water! Bystanders had to wade in an rescue his kids from the car. IIRC it made the local news:

John Rumm

Your battery lead probably isn't under the water though

A lane is one thing, the water in the video was 30 metres or more.

Reply to
newshound

Indeed, and even with leads the modern distributor-less systems seem much more tolerant. That was my point.

Reply to
newshound

And you're doomed with an auto too...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reminds me of me and my first girlfriend being the first in the queue waiting for the tide to go out on the road to Lindisfarne. We had an ancient 'disposable' Avenger, and decided to have some fun with it :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

I'd say there isn't enough difference across the ranges of either to be significant against the 10 and 27" between them.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Very popular in these Summer rallies. Stinking things.

Reply to
harry

For a long time now many cars require the clutch to be depressed before the starter motor will turn, though I admit as I haven?t had a car fail to start in decades if once engaged it will still turn over if you then raise the clutch on a dead engine.

GH

Reply to
Marland

The words "very slowly" spring to mind.

Did that driver take it slowly?

Reply to
ARW

Yep you really do become nothing more than a passenger.

Or the water just grabbing the steering before the driver corrects it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I know Anglia's can fly, but it looks like they make passable submarines too. YA Mike Mercury AICMFP

Reply to
Graham.

The bow wave was half way up the headlights, so not totally under the water.

Reply to
charles

I've seen Land Rovers Defenders and Series suitably prepared with snorkel with water over the bonnet. That was until LR decided to put all the fancy electronics under the drivers seat.

Reply to
bert