Goof of the day.

My leaf blower ran out of 2 cycle mix today. I keep a milk gallon jug of ready mixed fuel in the garden shed. I took the jug and filled the tank in the blower. I started it up and it ran for about 10 seconds then died. No amount of fiddling with the choke or gas lever would allow the machine to run. I thought perhaps the fuel had gone bad in the shed so I decided to mix up another batch. When I went to dump out the old contents of the jug, I happened to see a hand written magic marker note on the jug. "Weed-be Gone. 2 Oz per gallon". Well, I am sure no weeds will be growing in my leaf blower. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Michelle P

On 7/11/2005 8:04 PM US(ET), Michelle P took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Everybody says this, but that jug has been in there for 3 years and is still intact. Perhaps the plastic jugs I get are different than others. Mine say HDPE ( high density polyethelene) which is the same material that is used for automobile gas tanks..

Reply to
willshak

OH NO!

I chained a metal tag on the handle of my gas jug describing it as "TWO CYCLE" gas (so I don't do a boo boo). And, I ALWAYS mix full batches (with a completely empty container) not partials (never; gee, I think I'll use about that much oil).

You may have lucked out. The motor may have 'quit' before it seized. It's worth a look inside before you junk it.

^^

Reply to
Edgar

And is it properly vented, or do you just have a bomb sitting around?

For gosh sakes, containers designed to safely hold gas can be bought very inexpensively. Stop taking a chance with your life, and the life of your family, the local fire fighters, and anyone else who gets too close to your house, and get a safe container.

Or are you trying to prove something? If you are, give the rest of us some warning so we can avoid your house.

Reply to
Warren

One would think the "goof of the day" that was described would be proof enough that the improvised gas "jug" was/is a bad idea. Unless the OP also incorrectly kept weed b gone in a big red gas can there'd have been no way to have made this mistake! And just because one can get away with something for a period of years doesn't make it a safe or sound practice. If something worthy of the combustable nature of gas occurs the OP can rest assured the insurance company will happily deny any claims if it's traced to this non conforming container.

Joe

Reply to
JoeT

How friggin' cheap are you??? Regardless of what material it's made of, it's WAY too thin for storing gasoline. One poke with a pitch fork and your life may become suddenly more interesting. Go buy a nice red gasoline container. If you don't agree, stop by your local fire department with your milk jug full of gasoline and ask them what they think. Hopefully, they'll tie you to the top of a fire truck ladder, extend it, and dangle you in the wind until you come to your senses.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Nobody's interested in your fantasies.

Reply to
G Henslee

Nor yours, Clem.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

That's why I don't post them to usenet, Jethro.

Reply to
G Henslee

Of course you do. You've implied that you think it's brilliant to store gasoline in containers which often begin leaking milk while still on display in the supermarket.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Oh, I see you have a total lack of comprehension. In other words you're a cranial invalid.

Reply to
G Henslee

You just have a problem with anyone ELSE having strong opinions. The OP is obviously a loon, and really SHOULD be dangled from a 4 story high ladder until he's plenty scared to do such a dumb thing again.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Well, I have to say, I finally agree with Doug on something. Not only is it common sense to use only an approved gas can for gasoline, but here in NJ it's illegal for a gas station to even fill a container that is not approved and labeled. Plastics come in many varieties. I;ve seen some dissolve from gasoline within minutes.

Reply to
trader4

....including some cheap siphons sold for that exact purpose at auto supply stores.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Nah.. It'll dissolve in his car trunk on the way home with it. That should suffice. btw, I never disagreed with you or implied anything other than you're easy. There's that lack of comprehension again KANTer. Now, go fetch the little red ball...

Reply to
G Henslee

Washington State also.

Reply to