Wanker of the day

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-leicestershire-48665694/drone-footage-captures-driver-stuck-in-flood-water
--

Adam

On Monday, 17 June 2019 20:54:07 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

Do you think a shatnav might have been involved?
Owain
Yes the maps were all so old the were in . ark format. Brian
--
----- --
On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 08:47:22 +0100, "Brian Gaff"

Very good :-)
On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 20:54:07 +0100, ARW

Genuine question: what actually happens if you do this? Does the water flood the electrics and bring the engine to a stop, or does it enter the exhaust pipe, or does it lift the wheels off the road?
I was taught to slip the clutch, rev the engine, never take your foot off the accelerator and proceed very slowly to avoid creating a bow wave. I was also taught the water has to be fairly shallow (but I cannot remember any figure).

A lot depends on the vehicle but most modern cars have their air intakes low down (for cooler air maybe?) which means they’re very prone to ingest water in even quite shallow floods. No amount of engine revving will stop this.
Regarding bow waves, lots of contradictory advice around. I think a bow wave per se isn’t necessarily a bad thing as long as you don’t try to overtake it and have the water rise over the bonnet. You do need to be confident that your air intake is situated high up rather than low down.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Thanks. This is good advice. I think I was getting confused in thinking the exhaust pipe was the biggest problem when of course, as you say, the air intake is likely to be be more crucial. I will look tomorrow. My car is quite old (2008 Micra) so this may be a benefit?
On 17/06/2019 21:54, Tim+ wrote:

On some cars, pulling part of the system off would ensure that air was taken in from higher up.
SteveW

In my Anglia I managed to get through a "ford" where the 'tideline' on a stuck vehicle which followed me in was at 23" above road level.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

I know Anglia's can fly, but it looks like they make passable submarines too. YA Mike Mercury AICMFP
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

The bow wave was half way up the headlights, so not totally under the water.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

The object of creating a bow wave is to keep the water clear of the fan. Getting the speed right is key. Enter very slowly and gradually increase speed until the correct wave is produced.
--
bert

difficult with the fan underr water. but aI gotr through.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Varys with the detail.

Sometimes.

Nope.

Sometimes,

You can also open the doors if it does start to float with some cars.
On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 21:45:27 +0100, Scott wrote:

In that example I suspect the air intake got flooded, the engine ingested water and hydrolocked. Twonk, if hadn't gone in so hard and fast he'd have got through.

Modern electrics and connections are an awful lot better than they were, condensation in/on the distrubter cap was enough to stop a car in the old days...

Unlikely with the exhaust gases being pushed out by the exhaust stroke of the engine.

As in float, yes that can happen but how much depth is required depends on the vehical. A Land Rover Discovery has a wading depth of 70 cm (27") a mini about 25 cm (10"), note these are the depths to which the car should survive if driven sensibly, floating depth will be more.

Deep water is remarkably reluctant to get out of the way. I managed to get a Mondeo through a flood that was "a little deeper than I expected". Took an awful lot of go pedal and slipping of clutch just to maintain a slow walking pace, the water was just lapping up onto the bonnet. Starter motor was never quite the same afterwards but nothing else complained.
--
Cheers
Dave.
Dave Liquorice wrote on 17/06/2019 :

There also the problem of aqua-planning, where the tyres grip is lost completely. The tyre is lifted off the surface completely, when the tyres bow wave is simply unable to escape. More likely the poorer the tread depth. You loose all braking and steering capability, as if on ice. The car in the video, shows some slight evidence aqua-planning.
On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 06:52:46 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Yep you really do become nothing more than a passenger.

Or the water just grabbing the steering before the driver corrects it.
--
Cheers
Dave.

A big variation in vehicles there, five series of Discos over 30 years. four series of Minis over 60 years.
Which ones do you mean?
On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 11:57:26 +0100, The Other Mike wrote:

I'd say there isn't enough difference across the ranges of either to be significant against the 10 and 27" between them.
--
Cheers
Dave.

I've seen Land Rovers Defenders and Series suitably prepared with snorkel with water over the bonnet. That was until LR decided to put all the fancy electronics under the drivers seat.
--
bert