tip of the day

I have a set of 2 in 1 aluminum step-ladder/ladder which I'm currently using while refurbishing my stair well and hall way. The ladder is topped off with two black rubber(?) bumpers designed to protect the surface on which it is resting. Unfortunately the rubber seems to act as a paint softener when rested, even lightly rested, against any painted surface of emulsion walls or water based paint on woodwork. It doesn't matter if the paint has been applied days or years before. It leaves a black mark which is firmly embedded in the painted surface and cannot be removed with vigorous rubbing with a damp cloth with detergent or de-greaser.

My solution was to cut down a pair of old thick socks and cable tie them over the rubber/plastic bumpers.

The ladder is around 15 years old and the bumpers still feel reasonably hard and not sticky but I assume that something is leaching out of them that quickly attacks some paints.

Reply to
alan_m

I use a pair of cheap gardening gloves with leather fingers and backs, slipped over the ladder uprights.

I also have a special pair of mittens than have some sort of sticky plastic over the palms that are intended for handling panes of glass. These are handy for slipping over the tops of a ladder to protect decorations.

Reply to
Andrew

In message , alan_m writes

Alan, I cannot answer the 'why' but can say mine do exactly the same, and I love your brilliant solution.

Reply to
Graeme

I use oven gloves from the kitchen - the double ones so if one end comes off in transit it can't get left behind. I'm too mean liberate the latest silicon oven gloves (£21.99 from Lakeland and still going strong) but I'm hopeful they'll be even better i.d.c.

Reply to
Robin

Pipe insulation offcuts for thick pipe here...

A step ladder which I sometimes use folded against a wall has bubblewrap around the top for the same reason.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel