Conservatory

Not seen on my glass conservatory roof nor the greenhouse come to it....

Regularly seen on polycarbonate conserv ones

Now now...

Reply to
Jim K..

Anyone attempted a d-i-y conservatory using supply only aluminium glazing units? I want a weatherproof link from our extension to what was the brick single garage (now inaccessible for vehicles). Most suppliers seem only interested in doing the complete job.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

My brother in law successfully built something similar (many years ago). But he is very competent at DIY.

Reply to
newshound

I made my own toughened shower enclosure - the supplier did all the hinges knobs and seals as well. They also did DIY able double glazing and IIRC conservatory mouldings

That was Abbey glass in Bury St Edmunds

They are well worth a chat with.

They certainly do conservatories

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quite a few window manufacturers will do supply only Windows and since most conservatories are just a set of windows fastened together, a bit of design work from you should get you what you want. As for roofing if looks are not too important then a timber supported polycarbonate or better still Onduline or felt shingle will work.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Oh dear.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Interesting. Probably something like a pair of French windows either side with glass panels to close the gaps. Single slope glass roof.

Soil inspection manhole in the middle but I think sealed covers are available for a 450mm Osma job.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, Tricky Dicky snipped-for-privacy@sky.com writes

The mistress bedroom window overlooks this so I wont get away with anything tacky. Insurers don't like flat roof extensions either.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

What I got was all the glassy bits I needed - and the fittings. I didn't need extrusions, but they do those as well. Cut to size.

I'd be tempted to lay a well insulated floor with a cover for the drain, then a nice brick wall 500mm high, and then fill the rest in with windows and a glazed pitched roof...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We will retain the house door and there is no likelihood of this ever being used for accommodation. Mind, there is plenty of Celotex left over from the house alterations:-)

Pitched roof tricky because of conflict with house roof overhang (chalet bungalow). A single slope will drain to the garage gutter/soak.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

We have what could be called a conservatory on the back of the house. Short wall all round (except doors, of course). Fairly standard windows with steels at corners and a fully tiled pitched roof.

The advantages are never having green algae, nice and warm in winter, and while it gets pretty warm in summer, it doesn't feel like a greenhouse. Plus pretty quiet regardless of rain or hail.

Inside the ceiling follows the slope of the roof. At the end away from the house, there is a large triangular window between roof and top of windows.

Very, very happy with it.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Algae eh! My greenhouse gathers moss where rainwater lodges against the glass retaining clips. I assume a glass roof designed for occupation would be better sealed. The house and garage are roofed with Marley concrete rolled tiles so a bit big and heavy for a 6 to 8 foot wide slot.

Good. Here, the slot between the house and garage funnels any breeze from the open South West which causes the extractor fan covers to flap noisily. Thank you building control.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Blank it off or replace with one with motorised flaps?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

While not likely to be cheaper, I'll see if the glass tunnel fixes the problem first:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It isn't the sealing that is the issue, but everywhere I see glazed roofs the whole glass area slowly gets covered in algae. Might take a while to get a foothold, but once there is a thin layer, it builds up.

Yes, know what you mean about big and heavy. The tiles on ours are the same as on the house, the insulation is thick and the plasterboard ceiling adds a bit as well. It isn't exactly huge but a bit bigger than yours.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Can?t help being reminded of this.

GH