Vax Rapide XL carpet cleaner maintenance

Anyone got any experience of cleaning the floor nozzle?

I've removed the four screws from the wide end and the two from the narrow end but it doesn't want to separate easily and I'm wary of prising it too hard.

Is there anything else I need to do to get it to separate? There's quite a lot of fluff trapped inside.

If you mean the clear acrylic suck-up chute, on some models they separate, some they don't. If it doesn't, use a hose plus a bit of stiffish plastic bristle or thick line.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, that's the part. As it has the six screws folding two parts together I would expect it to separate but I don't want to force it and risk breaking it.

It's odd that some have screws but are bonded. To do the job it only needs the water to get through & the inlet slot to be unblocked. Plastic wrapping band (I forget the proper name) would presumably also work to unblock it.

If you're determined to get it clean, I'd try & ID the plastic & see if it's safe to bleach soak it overnight in full strength. It looks like acrylic but dunno if they really are.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's bonded.

Looks like a session with a hacksaw blade through the gap to drag/push the fluff out.

A pity the designers didn't appreciate that not every soggy fibre would move all the way through.

that's one way to knacker it. The width, evenness & smoothness of the gap do matter.

The screwed /and/ bonded construction indicates it was initally designed to be screwed, but was then bonded presumably because screwed wasn't entirely robust enough.

They're not the most convenient to clean but quite doable with some plastic, long as you're not too fussy. Not the ultimate design but it sure beats the bissell bladder.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

OK, point taken!

I'll have a look for something different to clear it out with.