vacuum cleaners (our Dyson finally died)

It had a long and productive life, bye bye DC01 !

Now then, onto a replacement... we're looking for lightweight (to both carry and use i.e. Dysons are heavy, but the big wheels made it surprisingly light to use)

I know Sebo, Nilfisk and the Miele Cat & Dog have been recommended in the past - and having two hairy mutts we're on the lookout for a good replacement.

Does anyone have a Nilfisk GM80 by any chance ? - how does the bagless mode work ? - and with all the dog hair, how well does the carpet nozzle work, given that most cylinder cleaners are lousy (in my experience) and need a brush to pick up hair ?

How about the Sebo range - anything stand out there ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Later models are lighter and suck much better that the DC01.

Been well pleased with the DC14 Animal - seems to cope with dog and SWMBO hair very well.

Reply to
John Rumm

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

We have an Electrolux Loopie and it performs very well.

Reply to
R D S

Colin,

we have a DC03 - the lightweight one - and I've found that Dyson are very good on spares. Even if the bit isn't on their website, phone and ask. last time I did the girl said "most people don't get that apart, that's why we only list the whole assembly" - then sold me the belt only, and not for much dosh.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Despite me angling for a "real" cleaner of commercial grade, we ended=20 up in Makro and got a DC14 AllFloor for =A3132+VAT after a bit of=20 haggling - they managed to stuff up their own flyer which said it was=20 =A3129+VAT, then they had a note next to them saying it was a mistake=20 and it referred to the "old" DC14 (without anyone knowing the=20 difference), and at least two A4 price sheets saying =A3149 *zero VAT*

We asked them to clarify, as the pricing mistake had been promoted in=20 the Makro Mail, and the price of =A3149 was roughly what it would have=20 been if the goods were sold at the advertised price plus VAT.

We got to the point where the manager was called (he didn't want to=20 get mixed up in it - the only communication was by phone) - and we=20 were offered it for =A3132+VAT

I wonder how the bloke behind us got on - he had two of them, and was=20 actually the one who spotted the "zero VAT" on the A4 pricing labels=20 on the shelves next to them. Things were getting a little heated as we=20 left - we just happened to beat him to the till :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I didn't notice it being much lighter tbh...

It actually started to tear threads out of our bloody carpet as well as getting the dog hair...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Nice.

I like seeing the business ineptitude of these places being used to advantage by their customers.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I assume you are looking for a tub vacuum?

The Nilfisk is the best on the market without any doubt. They have been around since God was a boy. I worked for them for 12 years and despite being a cynical bugger I have to say they are the puppys parts. A GM 80 will likely outlast you if you are over 30. Superb quality & design.

Sebo tub vacs are good but not exceptional. Sebo uprights are the best available IMO, nothing close.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

So is this Nilfisk product made in Denmark or ??

Reply to
Andy Hall

It was until about 1980, but Denmark is a very expensive place to make things. Now assembled in Denmark in a very impresive totally automated factory. AFAIK the motors are made to a Nilfisk spec in Italy. Since Nilfisk own Electrolux in Sweden, where they have some very high tech plastic moulding capability I suspect many of the other parts are produced their.

The GM80 is the best vac I have ever come across in 30 years

example they had the hospital market totally sewn up until Maggie introduced CCT. Quite common prior to that to find GM80's still going after

20 years of 24/7 use.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

Not much use on an existing house - but I built mine into my build ... very powerful, and only a lightweight hose to move around. Much better idea.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

That might well be the case - do you have a powered head to help get up fur ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

The message from "Rick Hughes" contains these words:

I've only ever used this arrangement in one house, and the hose was, of necessity, extremely long. On balance, I'd rather use a conventional vacuum cleaner...

Reply to
Anne Jackson

A lot of products have this. It seems that there are quite a number of medium sized firms there making motors

Really? I thought that Nilfisk was part of the Danish NKT Holdings group. I looked on NKT's site and they appear to be listed on the Copenhagen stock exchange. It talks about acquisition of the Euroclean business from Electrolux at some point. Was that what you meant?

Electrolux, AIUI, is listed in Stockholm and London and controlled/heavily influenced by Investor AB (i.e. the Wallenbergs). They appear to have commercial cleaner products as well as the domestic range.

Now I recognise them. They are seen almost ubiquitously in hotels all over the Nordic area and Germany.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No sorry, I meant Electolux Euroclean, the commercial cleaning machine part of the Electrolux empire. Refered to in the trade simply as Electrolux - forgetting the major part of the business.

> For

Indeed they are.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A somewhat anti-Miele opinion

guy in question owns at least two working gas turbine engines and an insane number of motorbikes. I'm only surprised that he wasn't _happy_ to also have a pyrocleaner.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Did you make contact with Liz Lowlife at the bottom of the link? She seems to offer a good level of service.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Liz is a very dear friend of mine

obDIY: I tiled her bathroom

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Henry - never ever had a problem with it and it sucks up everything and doesn't eat bags. I even used it to clean up a load of plaster dust - it cut out and I thought it was ded. Emailed the Henry manufacturer web site and within an hour *they* rang *me*, to explain that the thing cuts out to prevent a motor burn out and I should try it again. Lo and behold it was fine. Excellent build quality, customer service, British made, reasonable price - what more could you want? ;)

Reply to
Maria

Best buy one before they go out of business!

Owain

Reply to
Owain