upvc door seal

I noticed that the external seal on one of my new doors is not sealing like I'd expect, the internal one is tight though . ( as tested with a bit or cardboard slipped in there)

The only adjustments are on the hinges, or the catch plate but I can't think why they are not both tight. Any one know about this ?

Reply to
srp

If the door has been fitted by a upvc replacement windows/doors company I would get them back to sort it out. I would be wary of adjusting the door as it may not lock if the plates get out of alignment with the bolts. These doors often have 3 catch plates, so if you have to do this yourself it is worth marking the positions of the screws in case you have to adjust back to the original positions. I am assuming that you have checked the seals with the door fully locked as the bolts should bring the door fame onto the seals.

Reply to
Codswallop

Indeed.. I was thinking of getting the installers back..

I had a fiddle with the catch plate and adjusters on the hinges, some instructions would be handy though. It was fully closed, I think it's the bolts that want adjusting if possible

At first I thought they'd screwed the metal bar onto the frame in the wrong place but looking more closely I can see it's not possible to get it wrong !

Reply to
srp

Looked at it again and I've fixed it.. the lock bolts are actually eccentricly mounted, Tweaking these seems to have improved things a bit . should hvae realised..

Reply to
srp

You should not have to 'adjust' the latches to compensate for an incorrectly installed frame which is the most common reason for the seals not engaging.

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson