Totally OT: Pet hates

Anyone interested in pet hates about language could do worse than subscribe to alt.usage.english. It's a lot more international than uk.d-i-y, but friendly enough, and a bit busier.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

Except and accept.

Principle and principal.

Reply to
News

In message , snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com writes

Tangent time. Why do our friends in the US insist on saying ' I could care less' when they mean 'I couldn't care less'?

Reply to
News

discreet and discrete

Reply to
S Viemeister

Thinking that the correct expression is

"It's a mute point."

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Even when knowing it should be "a moot point", not knowing when to use the phrase anyway.

Reply to
Tim Streater

"Inbox me". WTF is *that* all about?

Reply to
Huge

It's about the language evolving actually.

Reply to
David Lang

That I can cope with, after all we didn't have a need to say 'google it'

50 years ago even as we didn't have a need to say 'hoover it' 100 years ago...

...its the flagrant disregard of the language that already exists, mostly due to the fact that the only people who get taught English, are in fact foreign students...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ongoing lingual shiftation?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

"we reached out to" instead of "we contacted". *BLAM *BLAM* *BLAM*

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , David Lang escribió:

I didn't realise evolution ran backwards.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Sam Plusnet escribió:

Cunning linguism?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

alt.usage.english (as mentioned by Mike Barnes) thrives on just this kind of thing - but if you raise this particular point you'll get a chorus of

"We've done that one to death already!"

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

It this verbifying everything that pisses me off...

Reply to
Tim Watts

True - there's some information in the FAQ:

Mike Barnes

I agree - "To google" is a bit of a special case in much the same way that "to hoover" is a verb - though the latter arguably has some redundancy as you could say "to vacuum". "To google" is perhaps slightly more specific as people generally mean "search for it on google" rather than "do a websearch".

"Inbox me" is just sloppy when you could just as easily use the correct existing verb "reply" which has even less letters to type.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Hear it all the time at work. It's bollocks - clearly the result of some middle management fad.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In fact, next time I hear it in person, I am going to see if I can work out a reply with the phrase "reach around" in. As in "to give a reach around". Hmm...

Reply to
Tim Watts

And other stuff like airfield morphed over time into airport.

It doesn?t have much to do with being taught english, much more to do with what you get exposed to on TV and in movies and stuff like that with most of it.

That's how stuff like OK gets into the language.

Reply to
Sam Crean