Spur off a 13Amp socket

I have wired in a spur 13A socket - but I am really struggling to actually connect the spur into a socket which has the ring main .
The problem is the three wires which need to go into each terminal.
I have replaced the old socket with a new MK one- but I just cannot get all the groups of three wires to grip in the terminals sufficiently so that they don't come out if I pull to test that they are secured well.
Any suggestions?
On Tuesday, 8 March 2016 11:52:25 UTC, henry wrote:

choc block
On Tuesday, 8 March 2016 13:16:21 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Or Wago connectors (both suggestions assume there is sufficient space in the back box of course).
On 08/03/16 11:52, henry wrote:

That sounds strange, are you using solid 2.5 T&E all round?
--
Adrian C

On 08/03/16 12:53, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

If the OP gets desperate enough, twist the wires neatly and uniformly then tighten. It's frowned upon, not ideal, but if all else fails...
However, 3 straight cores normally work OK. So I would first check if the screws in the socket as OK - or stripped or for some reason broken and short?

Three cables twisted together end up with a greater cross sectional area than three straight ones. But will still fit anyway.
--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

And won't allow one wire and then the rest to pull out when its been screwed into where it goes.

It was what I was taught to do in an electrical workshop course. Mind you it was in 1960 and techniques might have changed (cable certainly has - from 7/.029)
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 08/03/16 14:47, charles wrote:

It's changed - in fact twisting stranded cables in a cage clamp seems to make it more likely they will fall out later.
But in this scenario - people don't like it because it makes it harder to test (remove cables) - but IME you rarely unwire the back of a socket and it's not necessary to do so for testing generally, so it's moot.

That would have been my first thought. Or are the cables not straight?
--
Adam

Most likely the screw not undone enough. Obvious by looking. Or not enough insulation removed.
--
*Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view

Best to leave it to a qualified electrician. If you can't prepare the cable ends properly and tighten a screw.
--
*El nino made me do it

Most can learn to do stuff like that, even you.
On 08/03/2016 11:52, henry wrote:

I have a similar problem. Ring main + spur to uotside socket. The ring main wires are just too short. From the discussion I think that I will put in a deeper back box and use a chockblock to join the ring main cables and then wires from this to the socket and the outdoor spur. I realise that this is in effect two spurs from the ring main but afaik this is not against rega.
Malcolm
On 08/03/2016 11:52, henry wrote:

That sounds strange, as one might expect to see 3 x 2.5mm^2 wires in each terminal.
I guess I would remove it and test independently with 3 wires and check why the screw doesn't tighten up.
All fails, a chock block, or there isn't enough room I might investigate other makes of sockets.
On 08/03/2016 15:27, Fredxxx wrote:

Or get the wires into a choc box (which might be easier), straighten, tighten, then remove. Perhaps then they'll go into the terminal more easily.