[Totally OT] Freecycle

I wasn't thinking of anything as complicated as a feedback system. If the Yahoo! search system was working as it should (and it is not) then a simple search by username should give you a list of items that a person has OFFERED / TAKEN / WANTED and that is at least a start to making an assessment as to who is genuine and who might not be.

If the system was extended to require requests to be logged as well then you would in addition be able to favour someone who has been trying to get hold of something for a while or alternatively disfavour someone who request anything of possible value.

A web interface might make it easier but it could be done within the existing Yahoo! framework if they could get their act together and make their search work.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

The latter seems inexcusable in a fully moderated group, the former is just a bit stupid. I gave up limiting "wanted" messages as the only people it worked on were those who weren't savvy enough to register more than one email address.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

EBay works well for local low value items. I wouldn't faff about with Freecycle.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

OK, I see your point. But it would get to the stage where Freecycle was hard work. I would prefer a blacklist or outright bans because they are easier to operate.

Yes, but would people use it?

I must admit keeping my own lists of reliable/unreliable Freecycle members so I know who to choose/avoid. I recently gave away three separate items to the same person because he replied with a phone number, turned up when he said and was very polite. If he replies to any other of my Freecycle ads he will always be first choice, even if other people reply first - or have more emotional sob stories. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bolted saying something like:

Saniflo!

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Are they b*ggery! Blacklists and bans are completely useless as all it needs is for the offender to sign up with a new email address. If you don't ban people then they don't morph and members soon get to know who to avoid.

It's the only system that reliably works.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Good point. ;-)