Some stuff is just worth the price...

About a week ago, my dishwasher overflowed. The water sought a pipe hole, which just happened to be right over the DJ-20 in my basement shop. As soon as I realized that the jointer was soaked, I disconnected the power, toweled it off, and fogged it with an aerosol water displacer / lube called Boeshield I recently purchased. I covered the jointer with plastic and went back to cleaning up the upstairs mess.

The Boesheild dried and left a waxy grease behind. This coating was easily removed with a spritz of fresh product and some old t-shirts. Today, I wiped the machine down to prepare to use it again, and there isn't a speck of rust ANYWHERE! Boesheild totally repelled the water.

This stuff isn't cheap, but I'm sold... I'm still going to use paste wax for pre-use wipes, but I'm keeping this stuff around for emergencies and long-term protection. It seems like it would be terrific for lesser used hand tools.

-- DISCLAIMER -- I don't sell Boeshield, I don't own stock in the manufacturer, and I've never gotten it for free. In fact, I've never even had a coupon for a discount. I don't really care if you buy it. -- /DISCLAIMER --

I just wanted to share my experience with others who may be too cheap (like I was for a long time) to pull the trigger on a can of it.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

My experience with WD-40 is that little protection is left behind. I've seen bicycle chains rust two days after WD-40 was applied.

The plastic wasn't airtight, it was only over the surfaces.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

At least it missed my General 650.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Barry,

Yep, it's good stuff but a bit pricey as you noted. WD40 probably would have worked as well for what you needed right then - water displacement, which it does very well. You noted that you covered it with a plastic sheet supposedly to keep any more water from dripping on it. Plastic will trap condensation since it's not a breathable fabric and cause rust - so it's not a good idea to cover cast iron tools with plastic sheets for very long.

Glad to hear the tools survived - how about the other minor things - like the house......;-)

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Had the Christmas tree, which I was FORBIDDEN TO TOUCH (wife and kid's role ya' know) fall over last year. The water ran down into my shop... got the hollow chisel mortiser and the DJ-20. I've had the DJ-20 well waxed with Johnson's, repeatedly over time, but the hollow chisel mortiser only had a light coat. When I saw the water I soaked the tools down with WD40... DJ-20 came out fine but the table on the mortiser has some dark areas... BTW, at that point my wife agreed that we don't do live trees any more! ;~)

Hmmm, is two data points enough to write a law, paraphrased from the one about "level," that states that "water finds the DJ-20?"

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Not necessary, it's already covered by Murphy's.

Reply to
Swingman

the technology used buy WD-40 is 50 years old and hasn't changed since then.. There are far better products on the market. pour you diehard WD-40 fans try this, Spray your cap off the can until you have about a 1/3 of an inch in the cap let the foam dissipate then pour it into a clear half full glass of water, it will FLOAT! The molecular weight of WD-40 is lighter than water. WD-was the best stuff going 50 years back, but its long-in-the- tooth now. There are much better penetrates, lubricants, water displacers and protestants today

Reply to
wood addict

WD40 sucks at preventing rust or for lubrication. It's fine for displacing water or as a solvent. Try lubing a bike chain with it and then see how far you get before the chain kinks up. or applying a heavy coat of WD-40 to a cast iron surface in a high humidity area. It'll rust terribly after it's evaporated.

Dave

Reply to
David

I have been looking for a used DJ-20. I wonder if I could find one with a dowsing rod based on your senario??

Reply to
eganders

I've decided to seek surplus space capsule flotation collars from the Apollo space program. I could mount one to the base of each tool, with a water activated trigger. Upon contact with water, the collars would self inflate, drop the DC & power connection, and the tool will float free.

I could get really fancy and add an EPRIB, so I could find it later.

Picture this: , but with stationary tools being hoisted to safety!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

If my law "water finds the DJ-20" is true dowsing would work just fine... How about testing the law and see if it proofs out for me?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

It was developed by Boeing to protect aircraft and aircraft part I believe.

Reply to
Duke of Burl