Is Diamon-Fusion worth the price?

I am about to replace a shower door unit. When the installer came out to measure, he recommended that we get the glass treated with something called Diamon-Fusion. He said it would make the glass easier to clean and last longer.
I did a little checking and came up with the links below. The ads claim that treated glass never needs cleaning, is 10 times stronger, won't get dings (mostly for car windshields), etc. I didn't see a claim for getting rid of belly-button lint, but I may have missed that.
Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? I never heard of it.
I don't know how much this will cost, but if it's this good, I would think that the glass manufacturers would offer something like it themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2MyQTY6saY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GzwbxEuUbg

http://www.diamonfusion.com/en/products/improves.html
Go to Pepboys or any other auto parts store and buy a package of Aquapel. It's a glass treatment for windshields but it also works on shower doors--bonds with the glass. Much better than Rain-X
Retail price is around $12, but you'll probably need two to treat a full shower door.
Or, do an internet search for it. It really is great stuffOn Fri, 14

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 22:22:16 -0600, Rick-Meister

Do you use it? On your car windshield? On your shower door? How well does it work? How long does it last (in each setting)?
The information I could find online suggested that on car windows, it would last about 6 months on the windshield and a year everywhere else. I couldn't find anything about durability on shower doors.
The other products, Diamon-Fusion and Tekon, both say not to use anything other than water or special cleaning agents they sell. They even recommend using special towels. Does Aquapel have any of these restrictions?
On 11/15/2008 11:24 AM Square Peg spake thus:

Sounds like marketing bullshit to me.
replying to Square Peg, Mia Shower Doors - Raleigh NC wrote: We are a company that specializes in custom frameless shower enclosures. I know there is a lot of conflicting information out there, so hopefully this will help someone in the decision making process. :-)
No - You will not need any special cleaning agents to care for your shower glass treated with Diamon Fusion. All you really need is water and a squeegee or any kind of towel to dry the glass. A couple of cleaning products that will not damage the sealed surface includude Sprayway glass cleaner (ammonia free) available from most stores for just $2.50/ can or a diluted vinegar/ water solution. No need to buy any expensive proprietary cleaners. Simply avoid a few bad ingredients like ammonia, bleach and abrasive cleaners. And yes, DF is worth it's weight in gold! We have seen it in action over the years and know that without a doubt this is the*_ best_* product on the market for shower glass. That is not to say that other available products are not good because there are some great ones out there. Hence you have Good / Better / Best options. It all depends on which product your shower door / glass company offers and how much time & effort you want to put into the process yourself. Each of these products have a specific expected life span and depending on your intentions with your home it may or may not be the right solution for your situation. We have seen showers in near perfect condition where the homeowner used RainX...now they had to re-apply it once every 3 weeks to keep it protected. So do the math on an hour of your time and money spent on that over the years and see what makes sense for your lifestyle. If you don't want to spend the money on Diamon Fusion, then I would recommend getting a product geared towards shower doors that will last a minimum of 3-5 years because that is more realistic and manageable for most people. These can be professionally applied but some are also available as a DYI products. The risk with DYI is that you need to make sure you are applying the right amount of product for your square feet of glass to cover it using the proper technique to get the job done right. Remember - shower glass is different from a windshield. You are not only battling water spots and mineral deposits, but we need to protect for chemical/ soaps and body oils as well. This is why getting a specific shower door product is the best bet no matter what you buy.
You wouldn't buy a new car and not carry full coverage insurance would you? The most important thing is to seal your glass one way or another to protect your investment - otherwise it can be ruined in a very short amount of time depending on your water quality.
P.S. Everything DFI states below is true and not marketing bs. This company stands behind their product, but it really isn't necessary because it will last a lifetime with very little maintenance. Yes, it is expensive but this nano- technology didn't create itself and besides - everything is expensive!

The shower door installer was just here. They offer two products: Diamon-Fusion, which is applied after market, and Tekon, which is applied in the factory. For both of them, we cannot use any of the usual glass cleaners including Windex. He also said we should use special towels.
I checked the Diamon-Fusion website:
http://www.diamonfusion.com /
It claims to make car windshields 10x harder or more resistant to dings. I asked him if uses Diamon-Fusion on his car. He said he does. I then asked him if he goes through car washes. He said yes. I then asked him how the product can tolerate car wash detergents, not to mention wind, sun, highway grit, and windshield wipers, but not Windex? He couldn't answer that questions. He then said that the windshield produict is a different product and costs a lot more. But he had already said that he uses the same product on his car.
I couldn't find anything on the website about not using Windex.
He also said that I can get Tekon on the new shower doors applied at the factory. I check the Tekon website:
http://www.tekon.com/index.php
This is even more confusing and cluttered than the Diamon-Fusion website. They are selling dozens of products.
I didn't get any answers that I felt were credible.
This looks to me like a complicated, somewhat unreliable, and not inexpensive solution to a relatively minor problem.

But... they say: "Save Money!"
Then they say: "Kit includes Glass Luster, Tekon B and Repellent Wash. Necessary accessories included." Only $26.95
But... they say: "Reduce Maintenance by at least 50 percent!"
Then they say: "TekonTM recommends adding Empowered Daily to your purchase for daily hygienic cleanups in bathroom. Just spray and wipe with a Tek Cloth." $10.95
Consumers have certainly done their part keeping "the economy" going by buying obvious crap like this. -----
- gpsman
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/is-diamon-fusion-worth-the-price-342154-.htm
DFI, Inc. wrote:
Square Peg wrote:

Hello,
I am a representative from Diamon-Fusion International. Sorry for the late response, we just learned of this site and the postings here so I hope its ok if I answer some of the what seems like are the most confusing points when comparing coatings.
-Diamon-Fusion is a low-maintenance, not a no-maintenance coating for silica-based surfaces (glass, ceramic, porcelain, tile, granite, and quartz). Using most brand name window cleaners on the market to clean DFI treated glass is harmful because they are acidic and harsh. Diamon-Fusion is easily cleaned with just mild soap and water, so harsh chemicals are never needed. Nothing lasts forever, so claims of it never needs reapplication, top ups, revitalizers, or any mandated products to keep it working need to be very carefully considered.
-Diamon-Fusion is a patented product. In a sea of questionable claims about what products can do, a patent is the rock you can rely on to make sure the technology is real. Our patent number is 6,245,387 check the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office website (www.uspto.gov) for more information.
-Diamon-Fusion is typically professionally applied and therefore is not generally available to the public through retail outlets. Weve been working really hard to change that though, so look for our do-it-yourself product in the near future at major home centers! In the meantime, however, we do offer a kit with the D-I-Y, non-patented coating thats lower cost and you can get directly from us, or from authorized applicators in your area. Give us a call toll-free at 888-344-4DFI(334) to find one near you. -Diamon-Fusions major benefit provided for homeowners is through its water repellency; it resists hard water stains, soap scum build up, mold, mildew, bacteria, mineral deposits and leaching, and the coating also helps resist scratches. Additionally, theres an up to twenty percent increase in the brilliance of glass, helping to beautify those surfaces and therefore your home. Independent testing has also proven that Diamon-Fusion helps make glass up to ten times harder to pit, chip, or crack. Its completely optically clear and the coating is guaranteed to never haze, yellow, crack, or peel.
-Diamon-Fusions warranty is very clearly defined: If the basic maintenance instructions have been followed, and the contact angle of your treated architectural glass ever falls below 11-degrees, well honor the warranty. No questions, guesses, or opinions just clear, measurable, and defined. Our basic maintenance is simply this: Never use any harsh or abrasive chemicals or cleaning implements, and do an easy, just wipe-it-down, weekly cleaning which youre likely doing anyway. Other warranties lack definition; how is easy to clean defined? Who is the final arbiter of whether the surfaces are truly easy to clean? If you disagree, how is it measured? Our answers are clear and simple.
-Diamon-Fusion products are easily Revitalized. We support our product and give you tools you can use to make maintenance even easier by having additional products that are uncomplicated to use, inexpensive, and easy to obtain. If you ever do happen to seriously neglect your treated surfaces, theyll help you bring them back to like new condition, should you need to.
Hopefully this response has helped give you more information about our product. Wed love to talk to you about these benefits and others, and invite you to visit our website (www.diamonfusion.com), or better yetgive us a call. Please contact us soon and let us do our best to share with you how to clean less and make your life easier! Thanks to everyone for your input, and we hope to have you as a Diamon-Fusion customer in the near future.
replying to DFI, Inc., Jimmy wrote: Your full of crap. i reluctantly tried it once and it was the biggest waste of money ever. stop deceiving people with your sales pitch
replying to Jimmy, Joe Grayson wrote: Hi Jimmy, I am a distributor for DFI for over 20 years. I was wondering if you ever called to have to someone to look at your glass? There is a difference when the product is applied from the factory as opposed at the shop or in the field. That difference is when it is done locally the distributor can come out and take care of it. Most, if not all problems occur is when cleaning is not done properly. Since I am a distributor I can only tell you what I do. I personally take care of any warranty issue that I have applied the treatment to. Only charge for the cleaning not for reapplication. I can tell you that every time I go out for a warranty issue it was from the lack of proper cleaning. When comparing to glass that was not treated it takes about 6 times longer to remove water spots compared to glass that was not treated. I would stress that you contact the glass shop who sold you the treatment and give them the opportunity to fix the problem.
replying to Jimmy, Ebony wrote: I agree
replying to Square Peg, Ian Bailey wrote: Diamond Fusion coating. Does not work as advertised. Don't waste your money.
replying to Square Peg, James wrote: nah i used nanoglass and its the best iv got yet.... https://surfaceprotection.co.nz/collections/frontpage/products/nanoglass-250ml-out-of-stock-pre-order-discount-available-until-31-01-2018
i got a big bottle and it went a long way... cost per shower was probly about $12?
replying to James, Asher wrote: Thanks James - I followed your link and tried it myself - time will tell how long it lasts but it was very cheap for what I got. It has been on our shower for 1 month now and the water is still beading off perfectly. It would be amazing if it lasts the 10 years like they reckon! Asher