FYI: FREECYCLE

if you haven't heard of freecycle, do a google. in the last few days I've offloaded a heapload of bricks, blocks, lintols, tiles slates and slabs which are left over from this job I'm doing.

it's cheaper than a skip, easier than the tip, the stuff literally gets carried off your premises to be used by someone else.

yes, you do give it away free, but you can also _get_ stuff for free. have a google and join your local group, you have nothing to lose but your old unwanted tat ! LOL

hth

Reply to
.

Thoroughly recommended (I run the West Norfolk group).

Use

to find your local group.

Reply to
dom

Yes, it works OK. But in my local group (Canterbury) you have to wade through the ridiculous wants (e.g. "I would like a new model Apple MAC")...

Reply to
Bob Eager

And if you complain about such abuse you can be banned!

The organiser is God. Or some think they are.

So the community shop benefits.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yeah - the mods can be tin gods (not me of course). Some "ambitious" wanted's are a bit of a nuisance, but when they learn a new porsche isn't going to happen most start behaving.

Reply to
dom

Or pelple use it toi stock their ebay shops. Yes, that does actually happen.

Reply to
Gordon Hudson

*Perk*

*Waves at neighbour*

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

*looks up*

Herne Bay, to be more precise. Can't afford Canterbury; anyway, it's full of people from work...

Reply to
Bob Eager

The "mods" can be a bit officious .Personally I havent tried complaining about some of the wants and I think I'd be a bit wary of doing so anyway . What I do think is that there are a number of people who sit 24 hours a day waiting for the e-mails to come in so they can snaffle the goodies to do Gawsd only knows what with ...either sell them on Ebay or car boot sales etc . I have also become suspicious that some people are being tipped off by mods when goodies come "on" to the Group and get a head start to lay claim to them .....I offered to take a bath panel for a specific bath a couple of days ago ..not something that many people would want I thought...but it had been taken a mere 6 minutes after the message appeared ..

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Ours seem OK generally.

Someone did put a 'want' in for NatWest china pigs - especially the 'cousin'. Someone else posted a long article detailing how much these are worth, and the Moderator let it through.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Alas - it has the same problem that ebay did some time ago. In ebays case, it's finally got past it to some degree - for example, I can usually find 1 fridge within 25 miles. (Glenrothes, Fife). Freecycle isn't quite there yet.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

" snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I appear to have a local group, but following your link it seems I have to join Yahoo.

I don't want to do this - is freecycle a fully owned subsidiary of Yahoo, and only accessible through their portals?

mike

Reply to
mike

Some folk fiter the Offer, Taken, Wanted's into different sub folders of that particular FC group (I don't).

Many think the 'wanted's' are good because they sometimes make you think of getting rid of something that you hadn't though would be recyclable .. so they can be ok in that sense?

And if you don't ask you don't get? (I havent asked yet) ;-)

Wanted: New pair of knees for my wife so she can carry bricks up the ladder quicker?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Wouldn't it only be 'abuse' if it went against the guidelines (the FC groups I frequent all allow them) Mary?

No matter then .. going to any 'good cause' is better than landfill?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I stuck 4 off 1.5m x 1m 10mm thick plate glass sheets and the phone rang 30 seconds after hitting 'Post' ! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

And do we actually care *what* they do with the stuff as long as:

1) We get rid of it

2) It doesn't end up in landfill?

A friend was about to hurl a large black bin liner in their skip and a French GCSE book fell out. I asked why she was throwing that away and was there anything similar in there .. the answer was because "we had a clear out and 'yes' "? I mentioned that unless she took more responsibility for what she throws away the baby she is carrying will be knee deep in the stuff when it is 5 years old (she agreed).

5 mins later we had a few bits to go in the slip, a few of bits for me (brand new Ir mouse, brand new mini digicam kit, brand new ADSL filter) and a big bag of good stuff for the Hospice shop (because I can't be bothered with FC at the moment).

All the best ..

T i m

(oh, and a bag of de canted paper / manuals for the paper recycling box)

Reply to
T i m

Freecycle Groups are Yahoo Groups .Whats the problem with joining .??

Reply to
Stuart

You put your phone number in messages ...and are allowed to ...?

Reply to
Stuart

My group had a bit spat over a joke someone posted disguised as a Wanted post. The poster got banned and everyone was up in arms. The joke was aimed at all those people who asked for expensive items etc. Here's a copy of what was asked for:

take it off your hands, prefer that you send it to me, but collection can be

Nothing happened to the guy who posted a poem summarising some recent requests (someone asking for stuff to sell at car boot sales etc!) etc:

David Hearn

As far as I know, a similar poster here was OK. He posted:

WANTED: Moon on a stick

Reply to
Bob Eager