A new Tower project completed!

As many of you know my wife and I had a new home built with my 3 car shop and her upstairs quilting studio. The only real thing lacking in this new home was kitchen pantry storage. This particular house comes in two styles. A 2 story and a 1 story. The 1 story has a walk in pantry, the 2 story sacrifices the walk in pantry so that a staircase could be added. About 15 months ago I began designing a free standing pantry to place on a 15' long and 11' tall wall. Yesterday I finished the "Country Style Pantry" and my wife is once again happy with her kitchen. The 26 drawers that I built for this unit put me at 98 drawers that I built this year. The pantry is 8'x 8'x 16"deep.

My favorite shots:

Leon

Looks great. Can I ask what materials you used?

Reply to
Greg Guarino

That's beautiful, Leon. The drawer pulls are really striking. I may need to borrow that idea for a piece I'm working on now.

Larry

Gramp's shop

Mighty fine job.

Max

Reply to
Max

Oh Nooooo that is a big secret! LOL And thank you.

Greg the dark and lighter wood is white oak. I used General Finishes Water based Dye Stain Dark Brown and plain oil based varnish on everything except the actual drawer bodies. The drawer bodies are made from 1/2" Baltic birch with rabbited corners reinforced with domino tenons.

Reply to
Leon

Thank you Larry, borrow away! Here is another version of that pull on a much larger drawer. I actually used them on top and bottom of 4 drawers.

Leon

Thank you

Reply to
Leon

Nice job Leon, nice pulls, nice contrast in colors.

I was looking at the other photos in your album. The quilted box caught my eye, because when I look at the unfinished version it looks very flat, but the finished version has radiused edges on the pieces. Was the unfinished not glued, and just set in place? I like the effect of the radiused edges, nice work.

tiredofspam

I'm gonna tell your wife that you have women everywhere getting into your drawers, boy. That'll teach you to brag. ;)

-- A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description of a happy state in this world. -- John Locke

Reply to
Larry Jaques

98 drawers, eh? You would think that the women folk would run out of things to put in those numerous drawers.

Looks good Leon. If the builder doesn't give you a pantry, Leon will build one!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Heh, that's a good one. You were joking, right? :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

> How does one see into the top four, hmm?

Maybe those drawers are open at the sides, rather than the tops?

Reply to
Greg Guarino

But...but...but there's no melamine board :)

Reply to
dadiOH

>>> How does one see into the top four, hmm?

Oh. Leave it to Leon...

-- Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours. -- Ayn Rand

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thank you! Correct observations on the finished quilted box but the pieces were in fact glued in place. I sorat kinda like the flat piece look also.

Reply to
Leon

Thank you

Well those 98 drawers were for 7 different jobs. There are several new homes in the neighborhood with our floor plan, I am hoping to perhaps build the pantry again and again and.... I just need to show it off now.

Reply to
Leon

No kidding, I did similar small drawers in out other house but only 10 and those were filled in short order. That was in addition to the 8 regular drawers and 3, 36" wide drawers.

Reply to
Leon

That would not be a problem, I am getting away with inviting all of the neighborhood ladies to come see the towers bedroom project. ;~) There is an elderly lady 4 houses down that brags about me inviting her to come to see "his" bedroom. It is a lot of fun seeing their faces when I invite them to the bedroom. ;~)

> How does one see into the top four, hmm?

Did you see that step stool??? LOL. Symmetry was a big factor, those will probably be back up storage and or stuff that might be seasonal.

Reply to
Leon

Nope, they are normally orientated drawers.

Reply to
Leon

No, LOL the less than pretty parts would be the birch plywood drawer bottoms and the backs of the lower cabinets.

Reply to
Leon