FYI: FREECYCLE

No one said anything Stuart ?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

FreeCycle has no connection with Yahoo, other than they choose to use it as a convenient place to host the groups. Personally I think they would be much better off with PhpBB. So yes, you will have to join yahoo if you want to use freecycle.

Regarding inappropriate wanteds/grab everythings/sell it on ebay - many groups do have this problem. If you suspect abuse, then email a moderator.

I am very strict and never allow anything other than Offered/Wanted/Taken/Received actually on the list - start allowing discussion and it soon degenerates into rants - and swamps out the ads.

BUT we also have Norfolk FreeCycle Cafe - a yahoo discussion forum - for people to discuss issues (and go OT etc). I also reply to every email to me as a moderator personally - none are ignored.

Reply to
dom

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

"Wanted: Moon on a stick". Gets a bit much, doesn't it? There was a girl asking for a phone with camera and polyphonic ring-tones a while ago.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Gordon Hudson" contains these words:

It happened round here and the culprit got a very bad name for himself and has vanished.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from T i m contains these words:

That's worked for me a couple of times. Someone's wanted some old hard-drives and a monitor, both of which I was glad to see the back of.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

Ha! The silvery rays!

Reply to
Guy King

That's what I did and it's why I was banned, I wasn't allowed a right to reply.

It's freecycle's loss, we gave away far more than we received, it's the Community Shop's (a charity) gain.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Sir will therefore also be wanting one of these:

Chris Bacon

I have no idea of the reason, I was cut off and not allowed to ask why. It happened to someone else I know too.

Absolutely - but not everyone is prepared to save things and make the journey.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You will lose a great deal of time through time wasters who say they'll turn up to collect but then don't. And answering e-mails from people wanting something which they don't then bother replying to.

Of course this might just be the vast London group.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yahoo host many groups. But they don't own them - it's just a service they provide, paid for by advertising.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nah, ChavCycle is the way to go. No need for any internet/phone arrangements, you just pop the stuff in your garden, and away it goes.

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

Lintols ? , are from Manchestor ?

Reply to
Pete Cross

Not necessarily, I live in affluent Surrey and have worked for a charity shop and would not now donate to this or a local hospice charity but for differing reasons. The charity I worked for was populated by one or two actually charitable people but the majority were there to grab as many of the donations as possible for there own use. I then took items to a local hospice charity - their central warehouse - only to find a volunteer emptying bags of paperbacks into a huge wheeled bin but not for recycling but for landfill. When I questioned him about this he said it was not worth sorting through the hundreds of paperbacks they received each week! It seems the same fate awaited hundreds of hardback books also. If you cannot make use of certain items either refuse them or at least recycle them

PhilC

Reply to
PhilC

Ok ..

Ok, so a obsure form of Freecycling ;-)

In WGC by any chance Phil (I wouldn't have thought so .. a bit far from Surrey)

Hmm, that's not right .. the place I use take clothes and if they aren't considered good enough to pass on *as* clothes they get money for tham as 'fabric' .. I would have though the same would go for books ..> paper?

Indeed ..

I'm currently conneted to my router via a 802.11g WiFi USB 'dongle' that I fished out of the black bag that I was asked to throw in the skip yesterday. And the GCSE French books and other very useable bits are going to the (good) charity shop ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

they say about you isn't all true ..? ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Hmmm, but then I was given one of them the other day by a mate who had upgraded. Nokia tiny thing .. haven't used it cos I can't find / see it .. ?

Do you have the Freecycle girl's ermail addy! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I agree, you have to be careful, sadly.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

...>

We recently had to get rid of a couple of thousands of books - hard backs, paper backs, all sorts. We cleared the shelves a few years ago, the family had first pick of them. Then friends. Then we stored them, trying all sorts of outlets including an overseas charity which pleaded in its advertising that it wanted *any* book for schools which had none.

They came and took none, all ours were over ten years old. The fact that there were many children's and adult classics, fiction and non fiction, in good condition, didn't matter, they were 'out of date'.

In desperation we tried a pulping place in the city. They said they'd collect them, it would cost us £10. In the end we took them there - after going through them yet again and hoiking some out. We're now reading fiction again but there'll come a time when they have to go.

The reason we had to make room was to accommodate the books we acquired which we DO use. We still have about 3,000 ...

Then there are all the magazines ... not Woman's Own or Hello before anyone suggests it. When I was a child I loved reading my godfather's bound collections of C19th Punch. I now have decades of Punch mags from the 1950s on but no-one seems to want them. It's such a shame.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Doesn't work round here :-(