TOT: the philistines at the BBC

The Sunday Hour is a programme of Christian hymns. Some time ago the BBC moved it to 6am, such is their contempt for our traditional culture. The programme isn't about religion, it's about music. Irrespective of religious belief many people find hymns uplifting.

Today we heard Gresford, the 'miners' hymn', played by Grimethorpe Colliery Band. Written after a mine disaster this music has enormous emotional impact for those of us in the mining areas. In our house there was a respectful silence. So the BBC cut Gresford off at the end, halfway though the last lingering note, and played a loud advert for some stupid programme, with that Len Whatsisface shouting his head off. How culturally crass!

But there again they don't care. The only culture the BBC respects is their own leftist liberal metropolitan mindset and of course that of the Muslims.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Indeed, a beautiful hymn and if you know the background, heartbreaking. Especially haunting when played by the Grimethorpe.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

No, I think its not some kind of conspiracy at all, its total incompetence and lack of taste really. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

and, in any case, entirely the fault of the programme for over-running ;-)

Reply to
charles

Not content with filling other newsgroups with your OT racism and hatred of the BBC, you have to do it here too.

WTF can't you just use a suitable newsgroup to post your nonsense? One where you'll find plenty like minded conspiracy theorists.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How can the programme over-run - isn't it recorded music?

Was one of the grams running slow?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Sorry; you were saying?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I am sure I heard an apology on the BBC after they cut one of the test matches off. Apparently, it's all automated. I agree with you - someone must have got their timing out by a couple of seconds.

I do hate the racist conspiracy theorist crackpots. There's enough actually wrong with the world without inventing problems.

Reply to
GB

Well we all know where you're coming from.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

A rude awakening? The truth often does that.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I suggest that many regulars of uk.d-i-y would be grateful if everyone were to stop feeding the troll. The seemingly unending flow of anti-BBC comment and the racist content are not only way off topic but do nothing to encourage users to visit what is one of the relatively few really useful ngs left.

Many thanks

Reply to
rbel

I might have been edited to 30:00 when the slot it was supposed to fill was

29:45. Does happen - been there, but it wsn't worth buying the Tshirt.
Reply to
charles

It's about 10 years since I last went to Grimethorpe. I did not recognise it when I drove through it last week. I believe that Grimethorpe was once the most deprived village in England.

Reply to
ARW

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

I can only assume that it is a particular form of calculated arrogance. An assumption that their opinions are so important that they must be spread to the widest possible audience irrespective of the relevance of the topic to the target audience.

Posting to on-topic groups would merely be preaching to the converted, other hate riddled kooks.

Reply to
fred

It sounds like the Drama channel. It turns off at 2:00 am, not 2:00:05. It doesn't matter where in the credits it is, it stops.

Reply to
Davey

You could well be right. Plus of course they have their snouts in the expenses fund. Too many chiefs and not enough indians. The f***g lot should be sacked and a new lot got in.

Reply to
harryagain

Automatic playout systems only do what they are told. If something is supposed to end at 10:59:53 it *will* end at 10:59:53 wether it has finished or not.

Playout systems only do what they are told. If the person doing the telling doesn't listen to the outgoing programme they ain't going to know that a pause and non brash trail should follow.

Garbage in, garbage out. Manual operation and live announcers are very tolerent of minor timing errors. Playout systems and everything recorded are not.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Since when was listening to an hour of dirges written about/around an imaginary sky fairy part of my culture?

? All things bright and beautiful ? my ass, parasitic wasps anyone?

Reply to
soup

I'm 'coming from' wanting to read about DIY topics and related things on a DIY group which is still a healthy one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You sound like a Daily Mail columnist. Not that of course the Mail ever carries anthing that could pass as intelligent religious reporting.

Unlike commercial broadcasters, the BBC devotes a good few hours each week to Christian-focused programmes. If anyone has cause for complaint it is arguably non Christians (note I am a practising Christian and usually listen to Sunday Hour, Sunday and Sunday Worship via the R2/R4 websites)

Reply to
Tony Bryer