Reply to
Jimk

Er.... Mornington Crescent!!

Reply to
Jimk

... & sweaty...

Reply to
Jimk

My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water in the afternoon.

Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the hall but this does not solve the problem.

I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say 5 mins.

Reply to
simon mitchelmore

Not from an immersion heater she wont.

Total heat loss from a decent cylinder is probably less than 50W

My heater timer has 'boost' buttons for all three zones...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

TLC sell such a device. I fitted one in our village hall on an electric room heater - in case the hirer forgets to turn it off.

charles

Reply to
Davidm

My time switch has an override button which only lets it run for a predetermined time in my case its an hour. That has been installed for many years so I thought it might be standard issue. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Like I said, my time switch for the emersion heater is self contained, my storage heater economy 7 is on a special circuit but the other switch for the immersion heater echoes the same times just in case. It has an internal rechargeable too which had tobe replaced at the last power cut. I'm sure such devices have to still exist. It just has two buttons one for an hour over ride and one for off, when its off the internal timer can still turn it on.

In the case of the Immersion heater not being wired through a timer, then you can get complicated a bit. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

But it might be a naked one.

Reply to
newshound

You need a Smiths Immersion heater timer.

It can be set to come on for one or two periods per day, plus a button that gives a timed 1 hour boost.

Without using the daily timing periods you can just rely on the 1-hour boost facility.

Actually, giving it 30 to 45 minutes at night off-peak will stop any legionaires bugs getting a hold anyway. If her tank is well lagged it will last all day for most single people.

Reply to
Andrew

Mine isn;t particualr well insulated, the jacket was put on before installation it seems so has fallen apart at the back.

My timer is

I prefer the mechanical version, and I can set it to come on for 15 mins before I get home so around 6pm to 6:15pm, just to top up the temperature, when I think I need to.

Reply to
whisky-dave

This any use, I dont know about ratings etc.

ss

Thanks all for the solutions. TLC or Toolstation here I come!

Have a good weekend.

Reply to
simon mitchelmore

whisky-dave snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Is the thermostat set at a suitable temp so that consumption is minimal if water is not being run off?

Reply to
John

Good idea; I've already adjusted it up quite a lot but I might as well max it out as a trial, I'll check it's not scalding.

Reply to
simon mitchelmore

simon mitchelmore snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I was more concerned that you may have it too high and be wasting energy. The hotter it is = the greater the losses, but the less you use.

Reply to
John

You could have posted a new link without the e to save me the time in deleting the e:-)

Reply to
ARW

This one is better

ARW