2 Hour time delay switch

My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day beca
use she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later and so
gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time operation but
being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water in the afternoon
.
Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which c
ould be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot wa
ter) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the hall b
ut this does not solve the problem.
I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say 5
mins.
Reply to
simon mitchelmore
Not from an immersion heater she wont.
Total heat loss from a decent cylinder is probably less than 50W
My heater timer has 'boost' buttons for all three zones...
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
In article , simon
TLC sell such a device. I fitted one in our village hall on an electric room heater - in case the hirer forgets to turn it off.
Reply to
charles
My time switch has an override button which only lets it run for a predetermined time in my case its an hour. That has been installed for many years so I thought it might be standard issue. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)
Like I said, my time switch for the emersion heater is self contained, my storage heater economy 7 is on a special circuit but the other switch for the immersion heater echoes the same times just in case. It has an internal rechargeable too which had tobe replaced at the last power cut. I'm sure such devices have to still exist. It just has two buttons one for an hour over ride and one for off, when its off the internal timer can still turn it on.
In the case of the Immersion heater not being wired through a timer, then you can get complicated a bit. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)
You need a Smiths Immersion heater timer.
It can be set to come on for one or two periods per day, plus a button that gives a timed 1 hour boost.
Without using the daily timing periods you can just rely on the 1-hour boost facility.
Actually, giving it 30 to 45 minutes at night off-peak will stop any legionaires bugs getting a hold anyway. If her tank is well lagged it will last all day for most single people.
Reply to
Andrew
because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water in the after noon.
ch could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the ho t water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the ha ll but this does not solve the problem.
Mine isn;t particualr well insulated, the jacket was put on before installa tion it seems so has fallen apart at the back.
My timer is
3212r
I prefer the mechanical version, and I can set it to come on for 15 mins before I get home so around 6pm to 6:15pm, just to top up the temperature, when I think I need to.
Reply to
whisky-dave
whisky-dave wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:
Is the thermostat set at a suitable temp so that consumption is minimal if water is not being run off?
Reply to
John
simon mitchelmore wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:
I was more concerned that you may have it too high and be wasting energy. The hotter it is = the greater the losses, but the less you use.
Reply to
John
You could have posted a new link without the e to save me the time in deleting the e:-)
Reply to
ARW
As the problem is caused by running out of hot water, getting it hotter and so using less of it, may solve the problem.
SteveW
Reply to
Steve Walker
In article ,
Perhaps you need to find a qualified tech to replace it? ;-)
A poorly insulated hot water cylinder is a good way of wasting money.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
How about a button which turns the heater on only until the thermostat switches?
Easily feasible of course, but does anyone make such a thing?
Reply to
Clive Arthur
because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water in the after noon.
ch could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the ho t water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the ha ll but this does not solve the problem.
Relays/contactors aren't hard to find.
NT
Reply to
tabbypurr