2 Hour time delay switch

My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day beca use she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water in the afternoon .
Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which c ould be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot wa ter) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the hall b ut this does not solve the problem.
I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say 5 mins.
On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:

Not from an immersion heater she wont.
Total heat loss from a decent cylinder is probably less than 50W

My heater timer has 'boost' buttons for all three zones...

--
Of what good are dead warriors? … Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump

But it might be a naked one.
On 14/02/2020 15:47, newshound wrote:

She might have it installed in her freezer, too
On 14 Feb 2020 at 13:32:21 GMT, "The Natural Philosopher"

Water kept at 60C in a 20C room for 2 days? Things have moved on since my day - do you have a link to a cylinder that can manage that?
--
Cheers, Rob

Ah and again - my inability to understand heat loss - 50W standing loss is not untypical for a decent tank. Fore example: https://www.jouleuk.co.uk/knowledge-centre/?_sf_s=prostel%20Indirect
--
Cheers, Rob

On 16/02/2020 10:23, RJH wrote:

I have seen so many peopel that worry needlessly about their hot water. from people who think that a half filled kettle or having a shower insyead of a bath will save the planet, to people who think that solar water heaters on theior rooves will save half their heating costs - when its half their water heating costs.
I use the same ampunt of hot water summer and winter, In summer I use virtually no oil at all. In winter I use over 250l a WEEK
--
“it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism

I am glad I am not the only one with an incurably poorly insulated house!
--

Roger Hayter

On 16/02/2020 12:46, Roger Hayter wrote:

My house is VERY well insulated. Its just BIG
--
"If you don’t read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

That's assuming no water is used during the day. The immersion heater could kick in during non economy 7 periods.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 16/02/2020 08:14, alan_m wrote:

When it will be somewhat less.

which makes no difference to it's heat loss
--
“The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

TLC sell such a device. I fitted one in our village hall on an electric room heater - in case the hirer forgets to turn it off.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Timers_Index/Immersion_Heater_Timers_2/index.htmle
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 13:42:24 +0000 (GMT), charles

That link works better without the "e" on the end.
On 14/02/2020 13:56, Davidm wrote:

You could have posted a new link without the e to save me the time in deleting the e:-)
--
Adam

On 14/02/2020 13:42, charles wrote:

How much of a problem it is may depend on the quality of insulation around the tank. Might be worth using an Owl power monitor to see if the consumption from leaving it on is enough to be worth worrying about.
A well lagged one won't actually lose that much heat ~50W or probably less until you draw water and add fresh cold water from the mains.

Likewise in our VH. Otherwise someone will leave it on and the big old tank was not especially well lagged. It got really interesting when the immersion heater thermostat failed closed once and it boiled the tank. A jet of steam and hot water came out of the overflow as it bumped.
We also have an Owl monitor so that when leaving you can see if the base load is unexpectedly high. People do tend to leave warming cupboards, outside lights and other equipment on if not reminded to switch off at every opportunity. The most thirsty are now all on countdown timers (ours do 1/2,1,2,4 hours) and a slightly eerie blue LED glow.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:

You need a Smiths Immersion heater timer.
It can be set to come on for one or two periods per day, plus a button that gives a timed 1 hour boost.
Without using the daily timing periods you can just rely on the 1-hour boost facility.
Actually, giving it 30 to 45 minutes at night off-peak will stop any legionaires bugs getting a hold anyway. If her tank is well lagged it will last all day for most single people.
On Friday, 14 February 2020 15:53:28 UTC, Andrew wrote:

because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water in the after noon.

ch could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the ho t water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the ha ll but this does not solve the problem.

ay 5 mins.

Mine isn;t particualr well insulated, the jacket was put on before installa tion it seems so has fallen apart at the back.
My timer is
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-24-hour-mechanical-immersion-timer-220-240v/ 3212r
I prefer the mechanical version, and I can set it to come on for 15 mins before I get home so around 6pm to 6:15pm, just to top up the temperature, when I think I need to.
On 14/02/2020 16:17, whisky-dave wrote:

This any use, I dont know about ratings etc.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plug-In-Countdown-Timer-Time-Switch-5-to-50-min-Indoor-Use/351880645297?hash=item51edb88ab1:g:BK8AAOSwLwBaiEcz