TOT: the philistines at the BBC

But they are small minorities with deep pockets.

The unholy connection beween islamic terrosrism and seriously large middle eastern oil funded bank accounts is the elphant in the room., and drives more policy than anyone is prepared to admit.

The same money is propping up banks and governments.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

After a decent programme, the credits are one can sit back, take stock of what has just been watched and generally wind oneself back into the real world. Of course if you're watching cack and just using the telly for wallpaper that doesn't really apply.

Reply to
Clive George

I'm suprised he can get it via the web in Australia a friend of mine say he can;t listen to things on the BBC site as it's blocked, but he may have meant catch up. I hope you're paying for this service unless of course it's now free I thopugh everyone that listened to the BBC radio had to have a TV license.

Reply to
whisky-dave

There are proxy servers that can be used by overseas listeners.

Reply to
John Williamson

BBC policy seems to vary with the programme - having spent some time in France a couple of years ago I was surprised to find some podcasts available as normal and others "not available in this country". From a sample of about half a dozen it seemed those with significant music content were not available.

Reply to
news

Oh, piss off. I paid through the fecking nose for the BBC for fecking years and it's about time I got a little bit back.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

TV is blocked but radio isn't

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Out of respect for the artistes and technical staff.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

If you're putting that forward as a *good* reason, you'd need to answer the question of why it doesn't apply equally to other things in our lives. There's plenty of talent and creativity in this world that isn't named on its products.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

As I understand it, the credits are only shown at the start or end of programs and movies because it's in the contracts of the people who are credited. They, in turn, use credits shown as a reference when applying for jobs, and producers and directors use them to look for people when they're considering making a new production.

Reply to
John Williamson

Do you cut the flyleaf out of any books you buy?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So say we all.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No doubt that's true, but somehow the rest of the creative labour market gets along fine without inflicting their CVs on their customers. I've yet to hear a good reason why the moving picture industry should be regarded as a special case.

I get the feeling that if a production company wanted to omit credits - especially for junior members of the team - that would prompt a demand for more money in lieu. So the company is effectively underpaying their workers and giving them "free" advertising as compensation.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

"Dave Plowman (News)" :

No.

Do you know what a flyleaf is?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

They would also have to make the programme longer to fill the same slot. Which would cost a great deal more than credits.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not necessarily. So many programs are stuffed with repeated snippets - especially after ad breaks (real or potential) - a bit more repeated footage at the end wouldn't make much difference to the cost, would it?

Indeed the amount of time spent in programs saying how sad they are to have run out of time to show something or other after wasting ages repeating footage is another source of extra footage, is it not? The stuff they couldn't fit in.

Reply to
polygonum

I'm sure these days the trade use IMDB to find out who did what on a film

Reply to
stuart noble