TOT household rubbish

You need a hobby.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Every one has different recycling bins depending on where they live.

I have 4 wheelie bins and supposedly one bag (due to be phased out as they blow away).

I have no food recycle bin.

Reply to
ARW

Dennis is as usual socially oppressive.

I have two bins, plastics and metal, and everything else.

I dont even bother putting them out every other week, so in fact each one gets emptied once a month.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This is a problem everywhere. There seems to be no standard, I have four wheelie bins but there is only me here. Ideally, I'd like mini wheelies, but it seems the vehicles can only cope with one design so the effect is that there are several trucks for the different sorted stuff, and on alternate weeks, leaving a slalom trail of bins on the footway every Tuesday. I don't go out on Tuesdays, for obvious reasons. Bags outside of bins are banned as foxes and other creatures open them and spread the contents around the street. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It makes you wonder who did the initial studies on what proportion of rubbish could be recycled, and what bins to provide?

When recycling was introduced here, we got one wheelie bin for rubbish, a crate for paper another for tins and plastic bottles, and a mini-bin for glass designed to hang off the side of the main wheelie bin - along with a big list of what was banned from recycling.

The total size of the recycling bins/crates was about half the volume of a 120l wheelie bin, yet from my experience, and it seems many people in this thread, actual recycling volume is 3x to 4x their rubbish volume.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That is correct, yes.

Reply to
Tim Streater

What sort of people discard 240 litres of food waste every week ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Bonkers !. Are you running a business and putting trade waste in domestic bins ?.

Most food waste is not food waste. Uncooked vegetable peelings and trimmings are compostable, if not actually edible if a bit of thought was used.

The best part of thr potato is in the peel, why discard it ?.

Reply to
Andrew

That makes our black bag for general waste and clear recycle bag seem overly complicated.

Reply to
Richard

They also double up as hot water bottles in winter. Fill with almost boiling water and put inside a thick hiking sock.

Reply to
Andrew

I'm glad we have bins and no longer bags. That was a major improvement (foxes have already been mentioned).

Reply to
Tim Streater

No idea, but SteveW was talking about a 240l grey bin,I.E non recyclable (landfill)

Grey NOT green

Reply to
soup

He also mentions a 240l green bin for food waste, but if he'd read it properly, he'd have seen it was optionally for garden waste as well.

Reply to
Bob Eager

See....

Around my way Black bag for general waste (landfill) - buy your own bags

Pink bag for mixed recycled waste - bags supplied by council

Small container for food waste - container and small biodegradable lining bags supplied by council

Large container for paper - council supplied Broken down card also collected.

White bags for recycled clothing which are often never collected so the next week they get stuffed into the black bags. I see very few white bags being put out these days.

A generalised observation: Around 1 in 20 put out a food waste container. If the wind is blowing many of these emptied containers will end up elsewhere! Many people seem to leave their paper waste until the containers are full so perhaps 1 in 6 have these containers are put out for any one collection.

Garden waste is an optional, additional, paid for service at around £50 a year and buy your own wheelie bin from the contractor (£30) or alternatively put your garden waste into a pre-paid branded bag at around 65p a time.

Reply to
alan_m

Put the bags out in the morning. Only takes one week for any newcomer to realise that after their garbage has been dragged out of the bag for all to see.

Reply to
Richard

Perhaps they didn't comprehend the brief, and did a rubbish study?

Reply to
Richard

Unfortunately you also get the a******e who will put food in the general rubbish bag and then put it out 5 days before collection!

Reply to
alan_m

Fuck that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

OK. Get the missus to do it then.

Reply to
Richard

Unlikely. The pussy-cat, however, is up and about at that time of day.

Reply to
Tim Streater