TOT household rubbish

We have a bin for garden waste (large) and a tiny lockable bin for food waste. Which can contain all the stuff listed above, provided its wrapped either in a compostable bag or newspaper.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And we compost them.

And they aren't. They go in the tiny food waste bin.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think some of the rules about what can and what can't be recycled and how it can be sorted are made up by some sandal wearing greenie in the local council who has no real knowledge about recycling.

Reply to
alan_m

Should be the case since all food is organic.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I am aware there are differences, but the amount of waste is strongly dependent on the lifestyle choice and how many live at a property.

The issue here was quantity of waster rather that the different forms of recyclable materials.

Reply to
Fredxx

BSE.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Many local authorities subsidise the cost (to a varying degree) of compost bins. Type you postcode into

to see if your local authority can give you a deal

Reply to
alan_m

Sometimes you can. Amazon sometimes (admittedly only on some items) offers 'hassle free packaging' which doesn't have the usual bag in a box in a box ... type packaging.

More long term, if people buy the item with less packaging, suppliers will soon cotton on that less (but just as effective) packaging is the way to go.

Reply to
soup

I made that mistake too . He does initially 'talk' of the food bin being 240l but it is also OPTIONALLY for garden waste .

Reply to
soup

I can fit the mulching plug to the mower, and sometimes in peak growing season I do. However you really need to cut more often then - like 2 to

3 times a week to get a good looking result. The mower does not really have the power to mulch a whole weeks worth of growth (not to mention it uses quite a bit more more petrol)
Reply to
John Rumm

I have wondered that when wanting to offload a dead goldfish ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

cooking with goldfish = 11 million results on google :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Well, sure - they're just teeny tiny carp...

Reply to
S Viemeister

None. However the green bin is sized to allow for garden waste (if you pay the extra fee). Even if you put very little in, it is worth putting it out most weeks so as to avoid the smell of rotting food.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Our council sends all food and garden waste for anaerobic digestion - meat is allowed.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That's just what your council does. Ours collects food and garden waste in the same bin (no restrictions on type of food waste) and processes it all together.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

New Forest by any chance? If not they follow the same system. It seems a strange choice for an area that has lot of wildlife and though parish councils and others request that bags are not put out the night before that is awkward for people who are busy leaving for work around dawn. You can tell it has been collection day by the trail of detritus along the route that has escaped from damaged bags.

OTOH it is a simple system and I like that both bags get collected on the same morning , they use two carts running together with a the crew from one walking ahead and accumulating individual households bags into larger piles which reduces the number of vehicle stops. My mothers council collects different types weekly on two consecutive days with a third stream fortnightly on a third consecutive day. Every flaming day it seems you have to put something out and for a good part of the week empty boxes are parading up and down the place in the wind till the householders get home, Mother has a high proportion of neighbours who teach at a nearby private school. Ignorant sods who may be good at Maths or Sports but lack the common sense that if you leave your recycling box outside the front door all week and start filling it there then the wind is going to chuck the rubbish all over the street and your box is going to follow it. I?ve given up asking them not to do it but they are teachers and consider themselves above such things. now on my visits if their box is wedged under my car or in mother?s gateway I remove it to here 3 Counties away. The missus grows plants in them to replant elsewhere.

NFDC collections are weekly at the moment, apparently a year or two ago some funding became available for some authorities to reinstate more frequent collections, NFDC was still weekly so was allowed to use the funds to give households glass* collection boxes which are collected monthly. It?s taken a couple of years for many including me to get into the habit of putting it out but most seem to do so now.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Reseed with wild flowers and grasses and then just mow a strip up the middle. Mow the rest in the autumn after the flowers have died back ?.

Reply to
Andrew

BSE was nothing to do with recycling domestic food waste, but pigswill could have started the 2001 F&M outbreak.

For decades farmers were sending dead animals off to the knackers yard where they were rendered down and turned into protein and used to make 'cow cake' and other animal feedstuffs.

At some point a sheep that had died of a brain disease similar to BSE and the human version, was turned into cow cake and that infected more than one cow.

Eventually cows were dying of BSE left right and centre and causing a vicious cycle.

Some farmers were sending cows off to the abatoir for use in the human foodchain when they suspected that the cow was infected. This was financially advantageous.

Reply to
Andrew

Infections. Anthrax !!.

Reply to