DeWalt SDS drill repair or dump?

My DeWalt SDS drill turns but doesnt hammer. Someone siad there's a spring inside which I may have broken by pushing hard on the drill trying to drill down through concrete. Hpw easy are these things to repair, or shall I keep the plug and lead and dump the rest?

George

Reply to
George Miles

You shouldn't have to push at all, thats the whole point of SDS.

Reply to
Andrew

Nothing to lose by stripping it, if you are used to doing such things. I expect spares will be available, but may not be cheap and you may have to pay import duty from USA. Certainly worth trying if it is otherwise in reasonable condition. (But Chinese ones are cheap and certainly adequate for my limited needs).

Reply to
newshound

George Miles brought next idea :

So far as I am aware, there is no spring and you should not need to push SDS, they work by the bit bouncing off the hammer. The bit ends are supposed to be cleaned off and greased, before insertion in the chuck. No grease, means the bounce does not happen.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I agree, if its going to be binned then rip it apart....nothing to lose.

Reply to
ss

Have you Googled the model for spares? You might also find an exploded view of it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hammering doesn't engage until it's pushed. Basic physics says it could hardly be otherwise.

Reply to
tabbypurr

The only people I found offering parts listing and exploded diagrams for my Kango turned out to be German.

They do Dewalt but you need to read German:-)

should get you there.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com has brought this to us :

If you push, the hammer action stops. It is a matter of just holding the drill against what ever you are drilling, which allows the hammer action to begin.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In mine, there is certainly a weak spring which must be overcome first, but I agree it is nothing like the "wavy washer" system in an ordinary hammer drill. OP's problem doesn't sound like a broken spring to me, more likely something clagged up with dead grease and stone dust.

Reply to
newshound

you must have a different sds drill to my bosch & dewalt.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

And my Makitas cordless. No pressure no hammer.

Reply to
ARW

Yes indeed, you need it especially to start with to keep the hole on the right place at least, so they should be able to manage that OK. However I've never taken a hammer drill to bits. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Define 'holding', though I never found them very good, but then,I'm cack handed with electric drills!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have two here - an ancient and heavy Aldi fixed speed one, plus a more recent Lidl item which is variable speed and reverse. Apply a lot of pressure on either one and the hammer action declines rapidly. I have used Bosch, DeWalt and numerous other makes - the trick is always to let them do the work, never push, just steady them gently against the job. The SDS hammer action is produced by a lump of metal rising and falling on the end of the bit holder. In all cases, apply too much pressure on the thing and it can kill the hammer.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Obviously too much force stops it. Obviously no force stops it. Only on usenet do people debate such inane things.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

or in uk

humphrey

on 24/03/2018, Brian Gaff supposed :

Well, you hold the drill at the point where you intend the hole and apply just a little pressure. Too much and the SDS action fails. It is not a brute force instrument, or rather one which needs brute force to be applied, it does the work.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

+1It takes a small amount of pressure to engage the SDS action.

If you push the hammer function engages and if you don't push the drill just rotates without a hammer action. The same is true with chiseling with a rotational stop.

Reply to
alan_m

Well, yes, that's one of the joys of usenet, watching threads branch off in unexpected directions. :)

"Obviously too much force stops it" - I don't think I'm strong enough.

Reply to
GB