Household Grease

Hi, Does anyone know what household grease is and where I can buy it? I've recently fitted a corded curtain track and the instructions say lubricate with household grease.

Regards, Martin.

Reply to
Martin

Vasaline?

Reply to
SJP

I think I once saw it called that in the USA and searching there confirms it *may* be white, lithium grease.

If so, Halfords among others:

the very rare occasions I clean curtain tracks I just finish off with a silicone polish - eg Pledge. But I know nothing.)

Reply to
Robin

others:

> (On the very rare occasions I clean curtain tracks I just finish off

Thanks Pledge sounds a a good idea.

Reply to
Martin

> (On the very rare occasions I clean curtain tracks I just finish off with

What is the track made of?

If plastic I would agree with Robin and use a silicone based polish. It won't stain the cords as much as a grease.

Reply to
John

Martin formulated the question :

For such things I use a silicon spray lubricant. Pledge works equally well and I think contains silicon.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

others:

>>> (On the very rare occasions I clean curtain tracks I just finish off

And remember to redo it when they start sticking.

Reply to
Mogga

I does, but not as much as a silicone srpay.

White Lithium Grease? Bit OTT for a curtain track I would have thought?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , The Medway Handyman wrote

You don't want anything that stays wet as it will soon be sticky dust trap.

I find that rubbing the top edge of the curtain track with an ordinary candle works well.

Reply to
Alan

quite, I'd give grease a miss. Not only will it get dirty, but the mix of grease and dirt will cause more friction than having nothing up there.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You don't really want anything with a meaningful solids content. IIRC Pledge does build up slightly on wooden surfaces and candle wax will get sticky in hot weather. Mr.Sheen is your man

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Furniture wax - lightly applied and polished off.

Reply to
clot