TOT household rubbish

Indeed, but those are the ones who make effort. A lot of people can't be arsed and just chuck recyclable stuff in the normal domestic rubbish bin..

Even the skips at the Viridor sites are abused. The one that should contain soil or rubble is usually contimainated with ceramic tiles, old bogs, stuff that should be in there.

Ditto the timber skip. All manner of junk that clearly cannot go through a chipper gets chucked in there.

Reply to
Andrew

The packaging is clever marketting to hide the fact that they have shrunk the product, by bulking it out. This is never going to change.

Also, it protects the contents from physical damage and also to make it more difficult for shoplifters. This won't change.

Reply to
Andrew

Here we use an outside company for our recycling, we have a blue bin for multi-recyling but we were asked to put a notice on in saying only paper and card recycling. But they do collected it every week.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Only because the temperature at which the rendering was done had been reduced.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Our local tip staff don't seem to be able to make up their minds about this. Sometimes they say put ceramics (bogs, tiles etc.) in with the hard core at other times it is forbidden to do so. They are more clear about plaster dust - this is forbidden in the hard core, as is any soil. You will get your wrists slapped if you leave the hardcore in the plastic bag.

Anything with a bit of wood seems to go in the timber bin. I guess it will end up as fairly low grade chip board and after being crushed and "chipped" and metal will be removed by normal means.

Reply to
alan_m

They have at least 2, sometimes 3 blokes who are supposed to assist owners, where necessary and ought to be able to stop the wrong stuff being put into inappropriate bins.

I suspect they are afraid to step in, in case of abuse and the risk of it being flytipped.

Once I went there and the manager was a young german guy, and the place was *spotless*. Everything was done properly. Next time I went he had gone and it was back to its usual state.

Reply to
Andrew

No need for the council to bother in many areas as there are plenty of 'charity' clothing collections.

It's getting ridiculous round here - we had no fewer than FIVE white bags through our letter box last week!

I think everybody's wardrobes must be empty of all non- essential clothing by now, though, because I've yet to see one of these bags outside anyone's front door awaiting collection!

Reply to
Terry Casey

And soon you have to store your plastic bottles somewhere and remember t= o take them back to Asda so they can waste time and money and diesel sto= ring and transporting them seperately.

-- =

Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe - Frank Zappa

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Its possibly worse than that. A couple of reports in the media today from spokesmen for the recycling industry have indicated that by removing the higher value recycled materials from roadside collections will/may make these roadside collections more expensive and/or less viable. Roadside collectable waste for recycling will be related to low value waste and the material that currently cannot be recycled for reuse and is of no value to the recycling plants.

I'm sure that Asda will not want to refund deposits for bottles/cans purchased elsewhere. Perhaps not too much of a problem for large chains of supermarkets but maybe for franchised food stores with large supermarkets in the neighbourhood.

Reply to
alan_m

Do recycling plants make money or not? If so, why do commercial waste dumpers have to pay the council to do so?

It'll certainly annoy me as I use 4 supermarkets. What was wrong with the blue bin?!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Much of the domestic waste recycling industry seems to be only viable because it cost a council, or their contractors, less to send waste to a recycling plant rather than pay the landfill tax.

Commercial waste dumpers are sending their waste to landfill and have to pay landfill tax or perhaps making private contracts for recycling.

[Note:completely made up figures] If the business model says that it costs £100 to process a set volume/weight of waste. The council (your tax) pays £60 and the money from selling on the sorted waste is £40. This deposit scheme may result in only getting £20 for the lower grade waste from roadside collections. The council will have to pay the difference and instead of paying £60 they now have to pay £80 and it may be cheaper to send everything to landfill instead!

The Government then responds and increases the landfill tax to make some recycling viable again. This increase in tax is then passed on to you in many different ways including increasing your council taxes.

Reply to
alan_m

That depends on how things work.

In other countries, the bottle will have a bar code and scanned. I'm pretty sure its the manufacturer or importer that will reimburse the 'shop'. Usually the shop will only accept bottles it sells.

Where there's a will there is always a way.

Reply to
Fredxx

Even worse!

That means trekking from shop to shop (including ones that you don't need to go to for any other reason) and seeing which shop will take which bottle. At the moment we simply place ALL the bottles in our bottle recycling bin and the council collect it once a month.

I can see why a deposit scheme seems a good idea to reduce litter, but what we really need are locking recycling bins (to stop kids emptying them the day before collection and claiming a month's deposits for themselves) and readers on the recycling wagons, so as to retain the ease of recycling that we already have through our councils.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 01:05:41 +0100, alan_m wrot= e:

But you pay to dump recyclable stuff, which is why all the tradesmen aro= und here send their wife with a trailer on their own car :-)

I pay =A367.50 a month council tax, hardly any of that is for rubbish co= llection, most of it funds the bloody schools. I don't have children!

-- =

You know you've spent too much time on the computer when you spill milk = and the first thing you think is, 'Edit, Undo.'

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

This will be a big problem will we have to present our reciepts to prove we brought the item in that store in order to get the deposit back ?

A friend brought a bottle of lemonade over so he could have a shandy (I had beer) 18p in Tesco for 2 litre bottle, now will I have to take this item b ack to my local tesco, will my local shop give me back the deposit, doubt i t, or will I have to take it back to where it was brought in Maidstone ?

The more interresting thing to do would be with fast food outlet especailly the chains, you buy your box of chicken for £1.99 but get charged ? ?5 for the box, so £7.99 you can then take your empty box back to th e outlet chain and get £5 off your next meal.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No, we just need to keep doing what we're already doing. There is no problem to solve.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Cans and bottles collected *monthly*?

Glad they don't do that here. By the time they took the empties away you'd need a JCB to get in our front door.

Reply to
Handsome Jack

The New Zealand govt banned plastic boxes for takeaways years ago. They all have to be cardboard-based, so they biodegrade.

Reply to
Andrew

Probably as useful as a chocolate teapot. Kinda like the carrier bags we have in the UK that are so thin you have to use 2 or 3 or a bottle of wine goes straight through them.

So er.... what happened to saving the forests?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Sacks? They don't even give you bins?

Reply to