TomTom

We had an interesting experience in Spain this year with a borrowed Garmin Nuvi. The pronunciation was ... interesting. To the extent that when it said a road my wife and I both looked at the screen to try and work out what it meant. And it reckoned that all the numbered roads in Asturias were in American Samoa, while all those in Castilla e Leon were in California. AS-nnn abd CA-nnn - must be states?

On the other hand, the actual navigation was pretty darn good.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I have the same effect with the TomTom in Italy. Every place name is pronounced using English phonetics.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Going from memory here...

For most little USB charger/device combinations, D- and D+ are tied together (sometimes shorted, sometimes with a resistor), and there maybe be resistors between those pins and +5V / GND, too. AIUI, if a device sees that D- and D+ are tied, it takes that to mean that it's connected via USB to a charger, rather than something that it's expected to communicate with.

Sometimes the tieing / resistors are buried within the USB connector itself, but sometimes it's done back at the PSU and the 4-way cable/ connector are just straight-through.

If you've got the former, you just need a 2-way connector in the dashboard, because the USB connector (which I assume you'll still be using to connect to the Tomtom itself) contains all the needed gubbins. Lots of robust 2-way connectors exist.

For the latter though you'd need a four-way connector of some form - I'm not sure what would be best there.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Thanks - I wasn't certain what would be in the cable connecting the charger to the USB socket. Obviously, it's only needed to supply the DC. I could just hack the cable in two and use a connector for the number of cores, one to one. But on the old TomTom, there were three wires - one a sort of voltage sensor which was linked to one of the other wires at the output - but it worked fine with two so I got away with a two pole plug and socket. Since the lead beyond that was only a couple of inches long.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=A0 London SW

you may well find that it chargers fine with just the 2 power pins, the shorting of data pins is to allow for a higher current draw (more than 500ma)

Possibly worth bearing in mind that if it's expecting usb power, it is probably expecting a smooth 5v, there may not be as much in the way of power filtering/regulation inside compared to say a device expecting a 9v wallwart

Martin

Reply to
Martin Warby

"Dave Plowman (News)" :

I'd slit the sheath just where I'd be putting the connectors, to find out how many cores there are. If you're very lucky there will be just two.

Reply to
Mike Barnes