Electric Blanket Problem Solved

I bought an electric blanket, used it for 2 months and it stopped heating up. I swapped controllers with another of the same blanket and isolated the problem to the controller. I opened it up, didn't see anything obviously burned, etc., and was not able to troubleshoot it without a schematic.

It was after the 30 day return period and the store wouldn't take it back. Contacted the maker and could not get through by email or phone.

So I bought another blanket just like it, swapped out the controller and returned the new blanket for a full refund. Such is life in the new world of Chinese-made crap.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Hmmm... and you want to lay a *sheet* of "Chinese-made crap" WIRES over your body while you sleep???

Reply to
Don Y

Lately it was reported cheap blue colored fashion jewellery made in China contains much higher than safe level of Cadmium(maybe it makes the hue of blue color). They are recalling it now. Maybe Chinese are immune to any kind of Toxin. I watched a document about a place where they recycle plastics from electronics junks. People sniff them burning it little bit to sort them out. That place had way higher than average cancer death. Little kids desolder everything off PCB inhaling the fume coming off molten lead. They all look sick.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

schematic.

Nope. Warm up the sheets then unplug it.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

"Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Wow! You're a real scum bag. I'll even bet that when honest people here start to critize you about it, you'll try to justify it.

Reply to
Jack Meoff

I returned the blanket today and the cashier said "there sure have been a lot of these returned."

I checked the shelves and the lap blankets use a different controller, so I grabbed one of those. Hopefully it will work OK.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

I don't think so.

It a mfr won't stand behind his product for the pretty standard one year warranty period, swapping out for a new one like that and returning the bad one is OK...provided you tell the return clerk it's DOA. That way it goes back to the mfr and an unsuspecting customer doesn't get nailed with it.

Reply to
Piso Mojado

Wow. There must have been an awful lot for her to notice and comment.

Reply to
Micky

been a lot of these returned."

You know what? I think I posted that I had told the clerk it was faulty and she still put it back on the shelf. They are probably selling the same bad products over and over again until someone (like me) keeps it past 30 days and suffers the loss.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

If they are putting faulty materials back on the shelf they need to be reported to your state's consumer protection division, attorny general, or whoever enforces consumer protection laws in your area.

Reply to
clare

been a lot of these returned."

faulty and she still put it back on the shelf. They are probably selling the same bad products over and over again until someone (like me) keeps it past 30 days and suffers the loss.

Good idea. I'll stop by this week and if that blanket is on the shelf, I'll make a call. In this case the blanket had been a gift and the recipient did not tell me about it until I asked how it was working out on the cold nights. While I'm in the store I might just visit the rest room and pee on the floor. LOL! (Just kidding!!!!)

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

I"m going to have to get in the habit of making an unobtrustive pencil mark on things I return for being defective. Then I can tell for sure what things I returned that they are reselling.

I once marked an auto part with a scratch so I'd know for sure if it was replaced, if they said they replaced it. But they didnt' say that and didn't charge me for that, so that worked out fine.

This past fall, I bought a motorcycle battery at Wal-Mart and returned it the next day only because it didn't fit the space. I was clear as could be that there was nothing wrong with the battery, which was still in a sealed plastic bag, but she told me they had to label it and send it some place other than the shelf for resale. I don't think this was to avoid selling defective returns so much as to prevent fraud in returns, conspiring between a "customer" and a "return clerk", but I'm not sure.

Reply to
Micky

have been a lot of these returned."

faulty and she still put it back on the shelf. They are probably selling the same bad products over and over again until someone (like me) keeps it past 30 days and suffers the loss.

shelf, I'll make a call. In this case the blanket had been a gift and the recipient did not tell me about it until I asked how it was working out on the cold nights. While I'm in the store I might just visit the rest room and pee on the floor. LOL! (Just kidding!!!!)

Sounds like the most practical company policy. It protects everyone and gives a good image to customers. Frys Electronics does that here -- unless something is factory sealed, it goes back for testing, and then if it is resold, it is marked "refurbished" and typically marked down a few dollars.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Usually sold as "open box" around here.

Reply to