Broken cable on GHD straighteners

Got an iffy cable on my stepdaughter's straighteners and I just wondered if anyone her had taken a pair apart? There are two small screws at the hinge end which are get-at-able and others next to the plates for which you'd need a small right angled driver to get at.

It's a pretty straightforward replace cable job but I don't want to ham fistedly make matters worse.

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

I would do one of three things:

If they are not very old, take them back and ask for replacement. If you don't consider this reasonable or the supplier won't play, tough.

Buy some new ones.

Persuade her that straight hair is so last year.

Then:

Throw the old ones away (appropriately).

If you search around, you will find that many adverts state "new, more durable cable" and such like. This is because some models were fitted with crap cables. This has been the subject of several "investigations" (maybe Watchdog, maybe magazines/newspapers, maybe even official bodies).

I would not risk fitting an inappropriate cable or missing an important aspect of the fitting or a replacement part or whatever in something that is already inherently at the fragile end of the scale.

Reply to
Rod

If you do end up having to get new ones, the SHE copies on Ebay are nigh on identical - my bird has the copies, her mate has the proper ones, they've used both and they're bang on the same.

Reply to
Doki

My daughters stopped working outside the 1 year warranty period. I emailed GHD and was told to return them. They returned a brand new pair (probably refurbished) within the week. Great customer service.

Give them a try if you haven't already opened them up.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

18 months. Wouldn'tcha kno it?

Umm (checks pocket) no I don't have a spare 100 quid at the mo.

She's 15 and so knows it all. I can't persuade her of anything.

I'd very much like to fit the new more durable cable.

Well, that was the whole point of asking for advice. I really don't imagine it can be that hard! Fair enough, if it were connections to the plates, I imagine this needs high melting point solder etc etc. But a cable, is a cable.

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

And I would certainly either take them back to the supplier or contact GHD directly after just 18 months.

Reply to
Rod