Electric blanket

My first electric blanket I received was a Christmas gift. It lasted maybe 3-6 months. Since it was a gift, I contacted the manufacturer. They sent me another blanket this past spring now that I'm using it more I make sure I turn it off when I'm not using it. We are now in November and my blanket won't turn on. Doesn't matter what brand you have, a blanket shouldn't take a crap in less than a year

Reply to
m1024

Mine usually last 2-4 years. Its the blanket that fails, not the control.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I've had 3 dual control queen-sized electric blankets fail with 3 years; all failed on the side of the bed used by my wife. She had the habit of sitting down on the bed (on her side). I only sit on the bed after I've pulled down the top sheet, blankets and bedspread. She realized that it was probably not a coincidence that all the failed blankets broke on her side. We've had our 4th electric blanket almost 15 years years now with no problems because she no longer sits on it. The wires and/or their internal connections are fragile. If you treat them very gently, they can last a long time.

Reply to
Peter

One thing I remember from long ago is make sure it lays flat. It's tempting to curl up in a ball with the blanket wrapped around but don't do it with an electric blanket.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

+1 And I take extra pains to keep it clean, so it doens't have to be washed

One thing I notice related to electric blankets. The thermostat goes up to 9 or 10, but anything more than 2 or 3 is too hot.

Reply to
micky

Instead of heating a blanket, I simply heat the water I'm sleeping on.

Much more efficient, and the heaters last decades.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Mine is over 10 years old - I think closer to 15 and still working just fine

Reply to
Clare Snyder

But it's a BITCH when the bladder lets go!!!!!!! (and the bed is FRIGID if the power goes out. Been there, done that, wore out the T Shirt!!!! Every electric blanket Ihave ever owned outlasted the water bed!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

When my 20yo mattress started to leak at one of the corner seams, it just got things a bit damp in that corner. Of course, the liner kept the dampness from affecting the frame or anything else in the bedroom. So long as there is no pressure on the bed, a typical leak at a weld point will be very minor - it's not like the water is pressurized in the mattress.

The thermal mass of the bed should keep the heat (particuarly if covered adequately) for several days. If your power is out that long, you have additional issues over and above the water temperature to worry about.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

All I can say is I will NEVER own another water bed

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Andy

Reply to