How much power should electric blanket draw?

I have a Sunbeam twin size electric blanket that is several years old. I had the feeling it was not heating properly, so I decided to check the current it draws with a kill-a-watt, which says it is drawing all of ten watts on the preheat setting. This seems quite low to me, does anyone know what these should draw (or at least a range)?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Larry Weil

Is the preheat a special seting, like full on for some timed period. I would just set it to the highest heat setting, which will probably turn it on full. But, you need to put the thermostat somewhere really cool, otherwise the internal thermostat heater will shut it off periodically. Yoiu can usually hear the thermostat click if it is very quiet.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I would think anything less than 1 amp, no good. Look for specs on new units.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

up to ~100 watts

Reply to
DD_BobK

I think that's probably about right.

Reply to
harry

Usually about 60W-100W or so at full heat for a throw rug, which I have actually measured, and is more than an in-bed electric blanket.

If your blanket is drawing anything at all it is probably about right.

Ross

Reply to
RMD

1.21 Gigawatts.
Reply to
dennisgauge

That would be a HARP blanket. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Ah, you have the energy star model?

.

1.21 Gigawatts.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I can hear mine go on & off throughout the night

so it only uses power when on[obviously]

generally, they are a good investment, using little power overall

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

Just happened to have one (twin) sitting in the next room. It is also a few years old. There is a label on the blanket that says 180 watts.

Reply to
Art Todesco

ric blanket that is several years old.

OK - But has anyone ever in a normal setting had their blanket on full (maximum) heat for more than the warm-up period. You would roast if the blanket were on full force full time.

Reply to
hrhofmann